Heavy Equipment Trailer setup for F-350 DRW PSD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2014, 01:46 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Heavy Equipment Trailer setup for F-350 DRW PSD

So, I wanted a 20' shipping container here at my home, and found a nice one at a auction about 85 miles away. They also had a nice 24' x 8'-6" T/A dual wheel tilt deck pintle hitch 10 ton heavy equipment trailer that I bought to use to bring the container home. I have six 20' DOT Grade 70 5/16" chain and binders to secure the load. I've never hauled a container or towed a trailer this long, but have towed for many years, different trailers and am confident in my driving skills, although not so sure about securing this size load and towing a trailer with trailer brakes. Currently, I have a Torklift double receiver type Super Hitch, so I'm planning on purchasing a receiver type pintle hook, rated at the highest tongue load I can find, unless there is something better. The trailer has a five pin round connection for lights and I'm assuming electric brakes, since there is a small battery connected in with the trailer wiring. My truck is set up for a slide in camper, has the camper package and towing package, but neither of my wire plugs matches this one. Maybe there is an adapter? I'll also need a brake controller, so any suggestions on that are welcomed. Thanks everyone in advance. These are pics of the trailer and container.
Attached Thumbnails
Heavy Equipment Trailer setup for F-350 DRW PSD-4118849_1.jpg   Heavy Equipment Trailer setup for F-350 DRW PSD-4118849_3.jpg   Heavy Equipment Trailer setup for F-350 DRW PSD-4068424_4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2014, 02:24 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You can cut and re wire the trailer plug to the conventional 7 pin plug, that 5 pin is somewhat older, where as I have 3 on my truck (it's a 95 though) but you could also add the harness to your current wire set up, autozone or advance may have an adapter, but not sure if it goes from a 7 pin to a 5 pin, good luck I've never pulled pintle hitch type trailers, usually only see them behind dump trucks
Old 05-17-2014, 02:57 PM

wiring...

I'm figuring to go the adapter route since I'll have to be figuring out the trailer plug wiring, in the auction house's parking lot. I'll have my plug wiring on the truck, mapped in advance with the only addition being an extra wire from the controller for the trailer brakes, I'm thinking. I should be able to crimp together a temporary adapter on the spot, just to get home with of course. I'll be checking my Autozone as you 351fifty suggested as well, for trailer plugs and wiring. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Walmart has an adapter last I checked. Mind if I ask what you paid for all that?

Brett
Old 05-17-2014, 03:48 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

They should have a harness you could splice in, if not any wrecking yard with 3/4-1 ton trucks pre 97 should have plenty
Old 05-17-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyshakelford View Post
Walmart has an adapter last I checked. Mind if I ask what you paid for all that?

Brett
After auction fees and taxes...$1500. on the container, $4750. on the trailer. The winning bid amounts were of course, somewhat less. Whether or not it's a good deal is yet to be determined. When I pick up the trailer and find that the brakes, bearings, lights, ect...are all in good order, then I'll know what kind of deal I got. I did however also pick up an unused, still in the box Recon Brute Force 17,500# Winch for about half price of retail. Once welded in place at the front of the trailer bed, I'm hoping to be able to load containers as well as sheds for transport. People around me are always moving sheds and containers around. My next door neighbor must have about a dozen 40' containers on his place. Here in Florida the summer is rainy and this time of year, people suddenly discover they need sheds, carports, containers, anything to keep outdoor stuff, out of the weather. Plus, I have a tractor with loader and bush hog that I can go make money with now that I have a trailer for it. Anyway, we'll see how all that works out.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:32 PM

Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller

That looks like the best controller for the money right now. The internet reviews are rave. The local Autozone said they'd have it here Tuesday before 3 pm. That's only two days, and they have a way better price on it than O'Rielly's, Napa, or Camping World. Now the only thing left to find is the receiver pintle hook. I'll have to wait until more places open locally on Monday morning to figure out how far I'll need to travel to get one of those. And, I still haven't figured out why some hooks have balls built into them and others don't. Is it a weight capacity issue or a different Lunette ring that they connect to, and which one do I need? Arrhhh!....more research.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:26 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

I have one with a ball built into it, just figured dual use as mine has a 2" ball and I can use it on my smaller trailers
Old 05-19-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
I have one with a ball built into it, just figured dual use as mine has a 2" ball and I can use it on my smaller trailers

So the ball is removed when using the pintle hook with a Lunette ring?
Old 05-19-2014, 08:12 AM

O.K. I have the hitch figured out. This was a surprise to find and an ouch to the wallet, but here is what I just ordered...

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...t/TLM9003.html

This pintle hook mounting plate is weight rated to 17k, the same as my Torklift Super Hitch. Along with a 20k pintle hook, the plate should be here Thursday. With the container and trailer together, I expect the weight won't me more than 9k lbs. It should tow easily, right?

Like I said, this is a trailer purchased at auction with no known recent or past history. I'll be taking some tools and equipment along when I go to pick it up, in case there are any hidden issues. Among some of what I've already put on the list is my air compressor, air hose, tire chuck, impact wrench, sockets and tools, jack, various solvents, grease, electrical test and repair equip., extra light bulbs, a ladder to get on top of the container to attach chains,...That's all I can think of now. If any of you out there that are familiar with heavy equipment trailers and know of any issues for which I might not be prepared, please comment. Thanks everybody that is reading this.

Last edited by redleg1; 05-19-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.