Do I need a WD hitch....? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2014, 09:18 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do I need a WD hitch....?

I have a 2004 F350 SRW CCLB. I also have a 21' aerolite TT that I am going to start towing. My question is do I need a WD hitch for the truck and trailer combo? The trailer has a sticker that says it weighs 3300 lbs empty. I hooked it up to the truck this evening to start getting it ready and it dropped the truck rear wheel well height 1 1/2", without anything in the trailer( no water, no personal items, etc) empty like when it came from the dealer. So it will probably drop it more when it is loaded. Will a WD hitch level it out? Should that trailer weight need a WD hitch? Is something else wrong, the truck shouldn't sag with only 3300 lbs?

Would a set of super springs be better? Thanks.

Will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2014, 10:17 PM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

your best option is air bag helpers.

a WD hitch is there more for stability than leveling the truck out. when you go over bumps at high speed, the weight of the trailer coming down gets absorbed by the torsion bars instead of pushing the full tongue weight down behind the rear bumper. my brother has blown out multiple sets of rear shocks on his truck while towing a loaded cargo trailer without a WD hitch.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:25 AM
Premium Member

Trailer hitches have weight ratings. They are rated for weight carrying, and weight distributing. There should be a tag on your hitch cross tube. I'm pretty sure the stock hitch is rated for 500# tongue weight and 5000# trailer weight. Once you exceed weight carrying capacity of the hitch you risk hitch failure. You can stick 2 x 4's between your axle and frame to level the load, but you haven't addressed the safety issue. Your trailer is light enough that it doesn't require weight distributing. I sell trailers and would suggest to one of my customers in your situation to try it without for a trip or two. If you notice "porpoising" going over bumps, or trailer sway then it might be time to look into weight distributing. The tongue weight of you trailer setting your truck down 1 1/2" could be a result of soft suspension or a high unloaded ride height. Those trailers are pretty light. Just food for thought
The Following User Says Thank You to 07upbandit For This Useful Post:
fishmanwill (05-17-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 05:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

A 21 footer, no, doubt you need anything unless that trailer carries about 500 gallons of water(it doesnt) or is made of solid steel walls and bullet proof.

Your truck shouldn't even know it's back there. You'll see people tow way more than that, safely even, without anything everyday.

Air bags would be the best option overall, and healthiest for the truck, but that really shouldn't sag it that bad. I've done 4 bikes in a single axle trailer, 400lbs each, 1500 trailer, 2 generators(3500w), gas cans, tires, race gear, and 1 bike in the bed of the truck from FL to OH, and it sagged about the same, but no WD hitch, no bags, nothing. It was fine, and definitely "safe", no Oh sh*t moments at all.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:22 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07upbandit View Post
. The tongue weight of you trailer setting your truck down 1 1/2" could be a result of soft suspension or a high unloaded ride height. Those trailers are pretty light. Just food for thought
The trailer does sit higher then it did from the factory. The hitch is 26" off the ground. I had the trailer raised at the dealer because we camp off-road a lot.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:44 AM

I would suggest supersprings and a rear sway bar. My trailer alone is 7k pounds...it does not drop much.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:52 AM

I agree with the guys above your probably dont reeley need one but you might look into getting one. I know on my camper that it makes a HUGE diffrence running down the road on how it feels.
I dont need one on mine but I wont run it very far with out hookin it up. And while your at it look at a anti sway control set up. If you pull in any kind of wind you'll thank me later.
steve604 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to kinnisoj For This Useful Post:
steve604 (05-31-2014)
Old 05-31-2014, 09:45 PM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

this may have been avoided with a WD hitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwOqARlw1EI#t=41

FF to about 40 seconds
The Following User Says Thank You to steve604 For This Useful Post:
kinnisoj (06-01-2014)
Old 06-01-2014, 04:49 AM

Steve604 thatnks for that link. Their is some great videos in that!
Old 06-01-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm635 View Post
I would suggest supersprings and a rear sway bar. My trailer alone is 7k pounds...it does not drop much.

Nice Turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.