Weight Distribution Suggestions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 04:09 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weight Distribution Suggestions

I will be moving my family cross-country shortly. I just bought a 24x8.5 enclosed trailer to pull behind my stock 2012 F250 crewcab 4x4. The trailer has tandem 7k axles.

I don't know how much all of our belongings weigh for sure, but from the calculators I've used online, I'll be close to maxing the trailers gvwr.

I know I'll need a wd hitch, but I'm torn between something like the Reese Straight Line and the Anderson. This will be a one or two time "heavy" haul, so I really don't want to drop any more money than necessary into a hitch. The trailer will be used for much lighter loads in the future.

From my reading so far, it seems like the Andersen hitch would be more flexible for varying loads and be more simple to set up. Most reviews that I've come across for weight distributing hitches are based on travel trailers with more or less constant known weights.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2014, 07:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You say 'Family" how many kids,dogs,cat's,etc...???

You will fill up a 24ft real easy with any size family with kids, I can only speak from towing a 28ft enclosed trailer for my kids marching band, and you wouldn't think the weight would add up quick, but it does.

The Anderson hitch is I think the way too go IMHO because you might not have allot of ground clearance, I'd guess the trailer I was pulling had maybe just over 12" of frame to ground clearance.

Also it's how you pack the trailer, I found out if I wasn't there too help load sometimes they would load too much weight forward or rearward making it tougher to pull.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:36 PM

I have been looking at WD hitchs also. I use a Drawtite 10k hitch with 1k TW right now. The hitch is older and came with the hauler when I bought it. I use the oldschool sway control with the pads. I only run one, but I really need two.

I like the Reese straight line and have started leaning towards those. The Anderson ones were something I haven't ever seen before. I Have been looking at the round bar or trunion ones. I think I'm going 12k/1,200tw Straight line Trunion, but I'm not in a hurry so I'm going to think about it. We have to buy one for our 28' vending trailer in the next couple months.

Some of the heads only have room for one sway controller, unless you get the straightline then it won't matter. I noticed the drawtite head design looks cheap Chinese style and you can see the wear and warping where the round bars hook in. If your maxing things out, just don't go cheap.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:07 AM

Just a friendly tip when installing a WD hitch, first be on level ground, I use a piece of tap on each fender directly over the axle, then measure the unloaded height, and then loaded height. I think the Ford books state's you need too return within a 1/2" unloaded height, mine I got almost dead perfect back to the unloaded height. Don't worry too much about the rear drop, mine went down just over 1", but the camper tow's really nice now that the hitch is set up properly. And it was set up by a dealer wrong!!!!!
Old 05-13-2014, 04:13 PM

The trailer has tandem 7k axles

This means you have 8 lug wheels, right, I saw a trailer the other day with a sign that said 7K axles and they were 5 lug wheels meaning 3500# axles.

If you've got dual 7ks, you can put a lot in there, like the others have said, make sure the balance is right.
The Following User Says Thank You to StarDriver For This Useful Post:
Scrmblr2 (05-15-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 04:54 PM

It does have 2 axles rated a 7K each. I plan to take the rig on the ferry to Alaska, so I was limited on trailer size. The Mrs has been busy packing and getting rid of things. We have a couple of very heavy items besides the standard family of 3 stuff that made the jump from 5200 to 7000 axles important.

I haven't seen my truck in 9 months, and have yet to lay eyes on the trailer besides pictures. This makes shopping for a wd hitch troublesome, especially in the shank drop department.

I will have a 23 day window to install the hitch, load the trailer, and drag it to the Oregon Coast to partially unload before I have to get back to Korea.

The remainder of the trip will happen in September with a lighter trailer, unless I can fit the CJ in it.

After sifting through hundreds of posts on RV forums, I'm afraid the Andersen won't get the job done on such a heavy trailer. I was really into that hitch, but I think my situation would be asking too much from it.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:15 PM

Good call on the 7ks, plus you get a better tire on it. someday I want to trade my 24ft enclosed for another 24-28 ft with 7ks on it.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:15 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Check out the equalizer hitch, weight distro and sway control in one for about $500. Works great I towed a trailer to AK and back on one and worked great for both sway and weight distro.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:43 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I have a Reese iirc, and used it on my 24x8.5 trailer I have 3 axles all 6 lug and checked in just shy of 20k when I went from Cali to ga, I have a Dually and intentionally put the heavier parts of my household at the nose of the trailer because of the hitch, I had no issues with sway, tongue weight, rear sag, only real issues I encountered were blown manifold bolts, trailer brake controller locking the trailer brakes randomly, and the occosianal flat tire on the trailer, here is a pik loaded

Without the weight distro bars the hitch would almost touch the ground, I used a floor jack to lift the tongue up to my desired height then hooked the chains up and it would drop maybe 2" from that at the most, only real complaint I have with the set up was the cracking and popping sounds when maneuvering around a fueling station

With a triple axle trailer the looks and comments I get about I think your axles are broken is hilarious too tho
Old 05-15-2014, 09:46 PM

Thank you for the replies. I ended up ordering the Reese Straight Line setup with the Dual Cam sway control and a Reese Titan shank. I hope to have it installed by this time next week. I'll be sure to report back on how it installs and pulls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.