Hotshot/hauling company questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hotshot/hauling company questions

So I'm thinking about making a hotshot/hauling company but I can seem to find a insurance company to insure me for such a think. Right now I have a commercial policy of my 550 but that's all I have and my Erie insurance agent said that they don't do a policy to cover this type of company. Any help in this matter would be great oh and I'm located in pittsburgh pa. Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 08:23 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Progressive or geico? Get a policy that covers up to the value of said vehicles being towed, (up to 100k on trailer coverage) make sure it's a commercial business policy, btw this stuff will get expensive on ya good luck, and ensure you have the proper licensing, certifications, and regulations for your area
Old 05-09-2014, 05:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
Progressive or geico? Get a policy that covers up to the value of said vehicles being towed, (up to 100k on trailer coverage) make sure it's a commercial business policy, btw this stuff will get expensive on ya good luck, and ensure you have the proper licensing, certifications, and regulations for your area
Progressive does commercial but I just dropped them as they went up $3000 a year. Being a new carrier, you WILL pay through the nose.

Most brokers and others require a minimum of $100,000 cargo plus, since you're a transporter and transport autombiles, you HAVE to carry $1 million liability.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So for what I read it's not easy to find an insurance company to do this? I already have commercial on my truck so I'm looking for the liability to cover anything I haul. What are some of the prices you guys are paying a year?
Old 05-10-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike0409 View Post
So for what I read it's not easy to find an insurance company to do this? I already have commercial on my truck so I'm looking for the liability to cover anything I haul. What are some of the prices you guys are paying a year?
I just renewed mine, it's around $10,000 a year.

Mike you're going to have to get liability AND cargo insurance.
The Following User Says Thank You to StarDriver For This Useful Post:
rowekmr (08-14-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 01:46 PM

Hey guys. I'm picking some brains here. I'm also looking into hauling. It's just a side gig on the weekend from my 8-5 job. I have myself a 20x7 flatbed with 7K axles on it. Most I will ever haul. Will be within Arizona. If Money is good enough to travel over to a state over. Than that might be a possibility. But what are some requirements for this kind of work. Ive heard if I get a LLC. I might not need a DOT number if I keep it in AZ. Or whats some insurance coverage I can get away with.???
Old 09-24-2014, 02:05 PM

Idk about Arizona but company I work for is llc, keep the truck inside state lines and were required to have dot numbers because it's for profit. I think if we leave state were supposed to get a trip ticket, at least that's what iv been told. The other thing iv read is that doing this type of work on weekends won't make any money, it should be a full time thing.
dannanw likes this.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:19 PM

Ya the most I see profiting from some of these short trips is $100 bucks. And it might take some low profit jobs to get my name out there. I was thinking it might be a better idea of getting in contact with auctions. And being the go to guy for local transports for buyers. IDK few extra bucks is always welcome. But If I am having to pay overhead of insurance and special permits/license. I don't know if its worth the headache...
Old 09-24-2014, 02:41 PM

If you are for profit, you need CDL, DOT numbers, commercial insurance, never overload axles or you'll be fined, etc, etc.

NOT worth it one bit.
dannanw and Heavy_GD like this.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin-7.3 View Post
doing this type of work on weekends won't make any money, it should be a full time thing.
this 100%
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.