Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

B&W Turn Over Ball Problems

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Teachagmech 
#1 ·
First off, who has B&W and does your truck jolt or buck hauling any thing? Also, does the ball have a lot of play inside the plate? I have had a lot of problems keeping the hitch bolted tight and every since I put it in my truck and it jolts so bad going down the road that I'd swear I was running a flat tire.

#4 ·
Which bolts are coming loose? The tolerance between the ball and socket is rather tight since the round tube is actually what keeps it from moving around, not the square at the top(though it does help). Maybe you're not torquing them tight enough? The only trailer I've towed that bucked really bad was a flat deck Donahue loaded with hay.

I did build my own, but it's reverse engineered from the b&w

Sent from one of the worst apps in the world

#5 ·
That's why I built mine but welded. Nothing to come loose and sloppy feeling. I would put locktite on the bolts that are coming loose.

#7 ·
Are you using lock washers? I have grade 8 hardware and split locks on all of mine. Torque them to 90 lb/ft and they shouldn't come loose unless the center section isn't bent straight. If there's a gap, it won't matter how tight you get the bolts, they'll work loose.

#9 ·
well good luck to you. I've never heard of this being a problem.

Did you install or take it in to somebody?

#11 ·
OP,

did you buy it new? there are imposter hitch balls out there that may not be the right size. There is a little bit of play, but the tolerance is literally less than .030" overall. I'd say the ball is fits just loose enough to easily slide it in and out. The offset adapter actually had too much powder coating on it and had to be sanded off to fit in the pocket in my friend's truck.

#15 ·
Somethings not right. I have never had to re-torque bolts on my B&W or had any issues in general.

#16 ·
^^x2. Ive never had to retorque mine. My ball fits snug, although ive used it only one. I have zero bucking or sloppiness or loose bolts with my companion though FWIW

#19 ·
I hope you don't plan on towing the maximum weight (30k) now that you've taken the strength out of the ball.. Those are heat treated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.