6.0 newbie towing question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By catloaderdude

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 07:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 newbie towing question

Hello all,
I am new to diesel pick ups, proud new owner of a 04 F250 6.0 4x4 supercab.. Many questions to follow after this one I'm sure. I have a 31' Greywolf that weights 6020lbs. it was towed by a 05 ram 1500 quad cab 4.7 baby v8 with mpg's of about 6 per mile. On the flat it was ok but worked, on hills here in central PA it worked hard. Will at that small weight (compared to some I have seen posted) be a issue if I leave it in o/d? The truck has the five speed auto . I do have weight distribution and sway bar which I do plan continued use of just for safety purpose, better to have and use than need and be caught in a situation and not have on. Any help now and in the future will always be greatly appreciated. Oh if we ever end up at the same camping facility all are welcome for beer and mountain pie.
Likes2camp likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2014, 08:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i pull a boat that's 5500 on a 500 mi trip at least 10 times a year and when im driving under 55 and go through some small towns I keep it in tow haul just for the stronger shift points. on the interstate if the traffic is light I used OD but when traffic is heavy and im on the peddles more I keep it out of OD for better response. I don't think you will cause damage, I usually alternate for convenience when the situation calls for it.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by catloaderdude View Post
Hello all,
I am new to diesel pick ups, proud new owner of a 04 F250 6.0 4x4 supercab.. Many questions to follow after this one I'm sure. I have a 31' Greywolf that weights 6020lbs. it was towed by a 05 ram 1500 quad cab 4.7 baby v8 with mpg's of about 6 per mile. On the flat it was ok but worked, on hills here in central PA it worked hard. Will at that small weight (compared to some I have seen posted) be a issue if I leave it in o/d? The truck has the five speed auto . I do have weight distribution and sway bar which I do plan continued use of just for safety purpose, better to have and use than need and be caught in a situation and not have on. Any help now and in the future will always be greatly appreciated. Oh if we ever end up at the same camping facility all are welcome for beer and mountain pie.
Before I reply, are you calling the tow/haul function overdrive?
Old 03-25-2014, 08:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

First off welcome to the site! And when you get a chance check out the RV section on here. And we always can use some new camper pics! And Im gonna take you up on the beer and pie thing if I get the chance....
What I do with my truck is out on the flats I turn the tow package off. But if the truck seems to be going through the gears too much or if the EGT's get to be crazy then I kick it back on.
You should get a monitor on the truck with a egt sensor. This will tell you for sure how the truck is performing. As well as the oil cooler etc.
Here is a couple threads to check out-http://http://www.powerstroke.org/fo...n-control.html
This is a very easy mod to do. And it gives you the control to turn on the fan when you see fit. Or you can leave the switch off and let the truck run as normal. I found I used this a TON during our trip to Yellow Stone. Lets you get ahead of the temps before they start building up.
[URL="http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/camping-rvs/"]

Last edited by kinnisoj; 03-25-2014 at 08:22 AM. Reason: misspell
Old 03-25-2014, 08:27 AM

RV PIC THREAD

Camping/RV's - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

manual fan control

Don't know what went wrong with my first post but try these. Hopefully they will work.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry about that, went out and looked. Its tow / haul on the shifter not overdrive.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by catloaderdude View Post
Sorry about that, went out and looked. Its tow / haul on the shifter not overdrive.
As previously mentioned, the tow/haul feature is simply based on preference. While engaged, you will notice that you run the lower gears out longer. You will probably appreciate that when traveling through hills and even going from light to light in town. However, if you don't mind the tranny shifting a bunch, you will not hurt your transmission by not engaging the tow/haul. I can't remember what board it was written on, but the guy that actually wrote the software side of things for the 6.0 trannys said that it is completely a preference thing and not something where you have to worry about damaging it because of "abuse".

Living in Florida, almost everything is flat so I rarely ever utilize tow/haul. I think you are going to notice that towing a 6,000 lb trailer with your F250 is going to be a walk in the park versus Ram 1500.

Besides the monitoring system which I do think is a huge benefit, I would also recommend looking into an aftermarket tuner. For $400, you can add a significant amount of HP/torque that will also help you with towing at low speeds. I personally run an SCT tuner but everyone has their own favorite that they will debate for.

Enjoy your need truck.
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4Rookie For This Useful Post:
catloaderdude (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 07:11 PM

Your tranny "shifting a bunch" will cause it to over heat. Not to mention if you had a egt sensor that you would see unneeded egt temps.
And a monitor is a must with a 6.0. Get a monitor before you even consider tuning. IMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.