Drop Hitch Size - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 05:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Drop Hitch Size

Looking for a little input here from others that have a similar setup or can provide some good advice.

I have a 2006 6.0 CSB with an 8" BDS 4-link and 37" Open Country MTs. I use my truck quite a bit to tow my own stuff (gooseneck for utility trailer and 6" standard drop for my offshore boat). I am fishing in a tournament next month and I will be towing my buddy's inshore boat so I know I will need a bigger drop for that, as well as I know there will be a number of situations where I will want more than the 6" standard in the future. I am looking into picking up either an adjustable 10" or adjustable 12" drop. There seem to be more options in the 10" class but it seems like it would make more sense to go with the 12" just in case.

I am sure I am over thinking this, but any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 06:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i'm friend has a 08 250 8" lift 38" tires and he has a 10" b&W adjustable and it is nice.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:50 AM
Premium Member

I got the 10 inch adjustable with flip ball it was almost 200 bucks and they get stolen a lot so lock it up when not in use i had the last one stolen at the airport i forgot i left it on
Old 03-24-2014, 07:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfauerbach View Post
I got the 10 inch adjustable with flip ball it was almost 200 bucks and they get stolen a lot so lock it up when not in use i had the last one stolen at the airport i forgot i left it on
I have a lock on my cheap standard 6" drop one simply due the fact that I don't want someone to be able to steal my trailer. I lock both hitch and trailer.

What setup do you have the 10" on? Ever have any issues with trailer you are pulling not being level?
Old 03-24-2014, 07:23 AM
Premium Member

this is the one i have its great i pull a 18 foot haulmark trailer with it. i have an 8 inch lift with 38's

Andersen Rapid Hitch 10" Drop with 2"x2 5/16" Chrome Plated Combo Ball - Parleys Diesel Performance
Old 03-24-2014, 07:47 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
this is the one i have its great i pull a 18 foot haulmark trailer with it. i have an 8 inch lift with 38's

Andersen Rapid Hitch 10" Drop with 2"x2 5/16" Chrome Plated Combo Ball - Parleys Diesel Performance

that is the mack daddy shiet right there.

I use a pintle plate/hitch, but I mainly pull with a 2 5/16 ball... I keep a regular drop hitch with a interchangeable ball deal for light trailers.

12 Pintle Mount, 29417 | Agri Supply
Old 03-24-2014, 08:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:

Couple more questions for you...

Does your Haulmark trailer trailer sit fairly high?

Would 10" be sufficient if say I wanted to rent a U-haul motorcycle trailer? Or would I be riding at a pretty high angle?
Old 03-24-2014, 08:04 AM
Premium Member

it is not perfectly level but it sits level enough i am actually going to rent a 5x10 single axle uhaul trailer next week with it to haul a bike down from Boston i think its going to look a little funny but should be fine
Old 03-24-2014, 08:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
it is not perfectly level but it sits level enough i am actually going to rent a 5x10 single axle uhaul trailer next week with it to haul a bike down from Boston i think its going to look a little funny but should be fine
I like the Andersen you posted...but I almost feel like going with a 12" (which I do not believe Andersen makes) just to ensure I never have a leveling issue. I don't what others on the road think about how it looks, I just don't want to wreck the back end of a trailer/boat/etc. with the high angle.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:20 AM
Premium Member

yea the out drive might get closer to the road its a bad *** hitch for sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.