New to Goosenecking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 06:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to Goosenecking

I am so new I haven't even bought a truck yet. I have hauled many things on trailers in the past but they have always been bumper pull trailers. I plan on getting a 2 or a 3 car trailer, flat or wedge, depending on the price. What is the difference in towing with each type of trailer? And is there a site that gives good advise or has good videos of showing how to hook/unhook, load/load placement/unload, and even how to maneuver a gooseneck trailer?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 06:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Gooseneck is good, fifth wheel pulls better. How much are you going to be hauling?
Old 03-10-2014, 06:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

A 2 or 3 car trailer.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

How much as in how often, how far, and so on. You'll want a GN or 5th wheel over bumper pull for sure.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If you haven't bought a truck yet I'd definitely suggest looking for a 7.3 over a 6.0 if you're going to be towing frequently and/or for long distances. It's been explained to me by someone who knows much more about it than I that the larger 2 valve setup of the 7.3 hold up much better to the strains of the towing than does the smaller 4 valve setup of the 6.0. Just wish I would've known this before I bought my 6.0.

Also, I recently installed a B&W gooseneck in my 2006 F350 and other than some increased hassle from a slightly warped bed from years of use making it difficult to guide the angle iron mounts over the frame, it was fairly easy and straight forward. Would definitely make sure you have at least on other person giving you a hand though.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:45 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
In all honesty all diesels are great, especially for towing, with a GN or 5ver you want to make very wide turns, the 6.0 will be fine especially if studed and deleted, but not always necessary, just make sure you keep fresh oil fuel and filters in her, the 7.3 is a little more forgiving tho
Old 03-19-2014, 08:56 AM
Premium Member

Since you haven't pulled with either one just remember the pivot point of the trailer is not the same as a bumper pull. Swing wide when making turns. As far as loading it really depends on your load.

As far as trucks, if money allows I would go 6.4 or 6.7. I have not owned a 6.7 yet but everybody that I have talked to that tows love them. I have had 7.3, 6.0, and a 6.4 now. The 6.4 is a beast. Towing with twin turbos is great. The 7.3 did good but was a dog. My 6.0s did good but need to be deleted before you tow much. Same for the 6.4. I know 7.3s are know for lasting but they are a dog when loaded down heavy and good luck finding one with out 300k. If you do fine one the want as much for it as a newer nicer truck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-19-2014, 09:39 AM

Mine was a dog since it had an exhaust leak but still hauled 20k no problem
Old 03-19-2014, 10:09 AM
Premium Member

A 7.3 will pull it but they hate hills and don't get up to speed fast. You also got to remember I'm comparing this to a 6.4.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-19-2014, 10:49 AM

I've never pulled anything in a 6.4 but a gold wing on a 10 foot utility trailer, boy was she heavy

But my dad's 6.4 has a 4" lift and 37's we only use obs 7.3's to haul with, and my 4.10 geared trucks have no issues pulling grades, it's just keeping egt's down on them mile + 8% grades
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.