Making money towing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 10:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Making money towing

I know there are a few threads on this, but I have a few questions. If I were to do it for a few extra bucks part time, do i really need high dollar insurance? I have a gooseneck in my truck and I figured hauling goosenecks may render some money. I know i wont be making a living. But every extra cent will be great. How would I go about towing on weekends and such?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0816 View Post
I know there are a few threads on this, but I have a few questions. If I were to do it for a few extra bucks part time, do i really need high dollar insurance? I have a gooseneck in my truck and I figured hauling goosenecks may render some money. I know i wont be making a living. But every extra cent will be great. How would I go about towing on weekends and such?
If you're doing it for hire, you need all the DOT requirements which INCLUDES insurance, you can't make enough part time to cover it. People will tell you that you don't need the insurance, but if you get in an accident, you'll lose everything you have and THEN you'll realize that insurance wouldn't of been so expensive after all. Get caught without DOT authority and it's a big fine, plus your vehicle is PARKED till you get authority, they don't give you a ticket and send you home.

I've passed several scales and seen wedge and gooseneck trailers sitting there because they were put Out Of Service.

Last edited by StarDriver; 02-14-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:06 AM

Why do they need to pull in scales when your driving a light duty truck?
Old 02-18-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Why do they need to pull in scales when your driving a light duty truck?
Once you put DOT numbers on it, you're required to, plus it catches all the guys who try to sneak by under 26,000 when they're over 26,000.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:16 PM

Then I would just tow trailers that dont have DOT numbers on it, right?
Old 02-19-2014, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Truck gets the dot numbers. You don't want to mess with the weight and measure guys. They will ruin your day. Like already mentioned, they will shut you down then give you a 5' long ticket. No joke. If your wanting to help a buddy move a trailer from point a to point b, you can usually fly under the radar. But if your wanting to "get loads" your going to have to be legit. It's just not worth it. There's a bunch of folks out there that want to work their diesel truck but there's more to it and hooking up and driving.

Dot is what gives chuck Norris nightmares and he checks under his bed for their scales.

Brett
Old 02-19-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyshakelford View Post
Dot is what gives chuck Norris nightmares and he checks under his bed for their scales.

Brett

and yes, no go on part time... and yes have ins. and yes dot sucks. Here in colorado you dont have to stop if your not towing for $$ but have to be able to prove it (gulity untill innocent) like pulling a RV and have the title for said RV kida thing.

Oh and DOT #'s on a state patrol (local guys dont care around here) can pull you over at ANY time and search your truck reguardless if your pulling a tailer or not...ask me how I know, I didn't have anything to hide but still.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:53 AM

Yea not worth it....I don't know much about the dot, and weight, but I've pulled a few things to try and make some extra money on the side..wasn't worth it, what you have to charge, most people would just go with some one legit....I was just trying to help people out a few time, so I didn't charge as much and by the time you take your diesel and time, and not to mention wear and tear, I really lost money....I wouldn't do it again unless I was just helping a friend.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
If you are making money, (FOR HIRE), transporting any trailers, you WILL have DOT numbers, insurance, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fifth wheel, gooseneck, hotshot, towing, weekend

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.