How much is too much? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How much is too much?

I may be taking a 6 hour trip to pickup a load in PA. I would be taking a bumper pull tandum axle 25' deckover 10,000# axles. Does it sound too much putting around 18k on it and towing it back 6 hours? I do have a nice size helper leaf spring pack on my truck, but I don't know if 20k plus the trailer would be too much. I do have a gooseneck hitch, but no trailer, and I don't have the money to throw at a new trailer that will tow 20k. I don't have gauges, I would be buying that torque app until I can get gauges, which would be before the next load.

Last edited by Joe0816; 02-02-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 03:33 AM

Do you have a built trans, good brake controller, good truck brakes, good bit of towing experience? I don't think I would do it without a gooseneck trailer. I pulled our work dump trailer 7k pound axles with my truck and have weighed in at 24k and 25k total. Trans temp got up to 210-215 both times after I got off highway because of stop and go at lights and stop signs. Trans temp was around 170-175 on highway at 60-65 mph. Did have a little bit of chucking if I hit a decent bump in the road. Assuming the trailer weighs about 6-7k (?) and your truck is around 7k (?) plus your 18k on the trailer you're looking somewhere in the neighborhood of 36k. I really wouldn't do that with a bumper pull. I would also definitely invest in some gauges. If you decide to do this anyway don't use overdrive, expect to drive 50-55 and suck down some diesel. Is it possible to borrow a gooseneck or rent a gooseneck for the trip?
Old 02-03-2014, 03:43 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I've been up to 19k on a bumper trailer, do you have a WD hitch? 36k gross is gonna be a lot to get moving (or stopped ) take it slow and make sure you don't put to much of that weight on the tongue, don't think the factory hitch is even rated for that
Old 02-03-2014, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
I've been up to 19k on a bumper trailer, do you have a WD hitch? 36k gross is gonna be a lot to get moving (or stopped ) take it slow and make sure you don't put to much of that weight on the tongue, don't think the factory hitch is even rated for that
Hey look, someone else who spells their name Kris with K. Also from GA, our moms know each other??? lol.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:08 AM

I have stock trans, just replaced front rotors and pads, good controller, and experience towing pumped pulls non pintle hitch, where the trailer I would take has a pintle. I also have the stock reciever that came with the camper package. The weight would be pretty evenly despersed, but I can try and center it over the axles.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:29 AM

less toung weight, and a WD (weight distrib.) hitch, added to good contoller and you'll be fine just take it slow
Old 02-03-2014, 06:58 AM

Would i be breaking any laws? I would be avoiding toll roads so no turnpike. Also I don't have a wd hitch, nor do i think the trailer has the setup for it. I'm calling places local looking for gooseneck trailer for rent. Any ideas on where to look?

Last edited by Joe0816; 02-03-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0816 View Post
Would i be breaking any laws? I would be avoiding toll roads so no turnpike. Also I don't have a wd hitch, nor do i think the trailer has the setup for it. I'm calling places local looking for gooseneck trailer for rent. Any ideas on where to look?

Legally you'll be over your GVWR and no CDL (unless you have one). Also depending on how you load the trailer you could be over your legal RAWR. Sorry I don't know where you would need to look for a gooseneck rental. Could try craigslist though, I've seen one for rent on the Atlanta craigslist. Probably a long shot but you never know. IMO a pintle hitch doesn't tow any different than a ball hitch if your controller is set up correctly.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:06 PM

So do you think a cop will pull me over thinking I'm over capacity or just if they want to be an *** type of desk? Are you saying just use the pintle?
Old 02-03-2014, 04:32 PM

A lot of variables on whether or not you'll get pulled over for weight speculation. Is this a personal haul, commercial haul and what are you hauling if you don't mind me asking. If what you're hauling looks extremely heavy chances are probably higher for getting pulled over. If its not all that big size wise and just a lot of weight chances are probably lower because it doesn't look like you're overweight. Use plenty of straps/chains so it looks better in the eyes of DOT. If a gooseneck isn't really an option and you need to use the bumper pull go for it, just be mindful of how you load it and take your time. To much tongue weight and you'll be sagging. To much weight behind trailer axles and that's gonna be some nasty fishtailing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
deckover, excessive, tandum, towing, weight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.