Frustrating.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 01:11 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Frustrating....

I am looing at picking up a toy hauler and have been researching this for quite a bit. It needs to have at LEAST 5k lb cargo capacity and at least 18' in the "cargo area". All of this and I would like to tow it with my 2000 F-350 SRW.

What's frustrating is that technically, I can tow more trailer (sort of) with a bumper pull than I can a gooseneck/fifth wheel set up, knowing dang well that the gooseneck/fifth wheel would tow better and not exceed my GAWR, but in the end my GCWR is the limiting factor.

I can get a 32' tag that will weigh in WELL under 10k, say around 7k or I can get a gooseneck that will weigh JUST under 10k empty, probably about 9,900 or so for the same space on the "floor". My truck is rated at 20,000 GCWR and 9,900 GVWR. That means I'm limited to 10,100lbs trailer weight...on an F-350. Seriously!?! WTF? I refuse to get rid of my 7.3, I've considered getting a dually F-350 with the 7.3, but in the end, it's GCWR is still only 20,000lbs. My RAWR is 6,800 and change and while I haven't had it on the scales to measure actual rear axle weight, I figure I have enough leeway for 3,000lbs of pin weight easy. That enough pin weight for 15,000lbs.

I know the newer trucks have ridiculous ratings with dang near the same brakes/axles, etc, but how in the heck is everyone towing around these huge triple axle RV's and not getting their butt handed to them by the DOT/cops? What am I missing? I don't want to pull the trigger on a $50,000 trailer to not be able to tow it anywhere.
-Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2014, 06:03 AM
Premium Member

Honestly, a lot of people who tow beyond the weight rating of their truck simply don't know or understand that they are. You walk in with YOUR truck and the RV salesman is happy to accept commission on what ever trailer he can sell you. An honest one will pull your vin and recommend trailers within your tow rating.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You need to find your curb weight. If your GVWR is 9900 (think max weight with bed full of payload), your actual curb weight is probably around 6000 empty. This means you could tow 14000 and be under the 20k GCWR.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:32 AM

I bet there are a lot more over weight than you would think. Around here I think they focus more on what weight your registered for, not so much the weight ratings of the vehicles.
The Following User Says Thank You to avfrog For This Useful Post:
Heavy_GD (01-04-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 08:32 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynpmoose View Post
You need to find your curb weight. If your GVWR is 9900 (think max weight with bed full of payload), your actual curb weight is probably around 6000 empty. This means you could tow 14000 and be under the 20k GCWR.
I haven't been across any certified scales that I know of, but I have been across scales at two different scrap metal places and I can tell you that my truck weighs right around 8,000-8,200 "unloaded" with fuel and me inside according to those two scales. I guess it's the lift and tires and heavy duty bumper. I do have some "junk" in the toolbox, but I'd say only a couple hundred. I guess it all adds up. I wonder how much weight I would lose if I went to a 4" lift and 35's. It would probably get under a gooseneck a bit better like that anyway...Hmmm.
-Aaron
Old 01-03-2014, 11:12 AM
Premium Member

I don't know what state your in man but here in maryland DOT only checks weight for commercial vehicles....so if your just hauling a rv or toy hauler your exempt. In maryland you have to be in a commercial capacity for them to get you. But I know every states different
Old 01-03-2014, 12:42 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've ran my trailer through near every state, (only havent been NE of PA)there not checking. My CGVWR is 26.5 put I've been over it plenty. On a side note my trailer is a weekend warrior cr3905 it's got 6k load carry and 18.5 before first obstruction and then is still 60" wide for another 10 feet. I get a car in and couple quads.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:21 PM

I know the feeling man, your weight is probably right. My Excursion weighs about the same. From what I've read(again read so its kinda hear say) if you should get into an accident where someone is seriously hurt the insurance company & Law will more than likely look into what your weights are. The insurance could deny the claim & the law enforcement may file charges. Trying not to be a Debbie downer but you may want to look into that stuff. I myself am getting ready to buy an enclosed trailer, then make rudamentary living quarters in the front & space for the jeep in the back. I do wish we could re-rate the trucks for a heavier load.

Last edited by TBJK; 01-03-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBJK View Post
I know the feeling man, your weight is probably right. My Excursion weighs about the same. From what I've read(again read so its kinda hear say) if you should get into an accident where someone is seriously hurt the insurance company & Law will more than likely look into what your weights are. The insurance could deny the claim & the law enforcement may file charges. Trying not to be a Debbie downer but you may want to look into that stuff. I myself am getting ready to buy an enclosed trailer, then make rudamentary living quarters in the front & space for the jeep in the back. I do wish we could re-rate the trucks for a heavier load.
This was my main concern. I see/hear/know of people hauling WAY more than the trucks are rated for all the time. I have a neighbor that does demolition work and he grossed over 30k with a idi 7.3L on more than one occasion. I've heard the same thing about an accident or whatnot. I have no intention of getting in one, but like to C.Y.A. if you know what I mean. I wonder if it has ever happened to anyone?

I'm kind of doing the same thing you are talking about, only I'm not as handy with stuff like that as I am with mechanical things. I've been looking for a used ATC, Featherlite, Intech trailer.....setup like I want, or I MIGHT consider buying new if I settle FOR SURE on what I want. Unless I get a bumper pull, I will be looking for something aluminum.
-Aaron
Old 01-04-2014, 06:18 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
GCVWR "legally" is determined by rear springs, gear ratio, drive ratio (trans and Tire size), and brake capacity. If you are towing anything with any of those items changed you could feasibly be liable. Just points to ponder. Any trailer with living quarters and 5k+ cargo capacity is going to be heavy, probably tripple axle. When you start looking you will see most the standard toyhaulers are rated at 2-3k carry capacity and two 6 or 7k axles are limiting factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.