Airbags that don't reduce ride quality and travel?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 04:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Airbags that don't reduce ride quality and travel??

After my first heavily-loaded towing trip yesterday, I'm searching for a set of airbags. I'm very happy with the way the truck rides right now and I spend a lot of time off road for work and play. I've used Firestone air bags in the past, but the shorter "pancake" style bag doesn't have much range of motion. Is there anything else out there that will still help alleviate some of the sag when loaded heavy, but not degrade my nice ride quality or off-road suspension travel?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013, 07:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL View Post
After my first heavily-loaded towing trip yesterday, I'm searching for a set of airbags. I'm very happy with the way the truck rides right now and I spend a lot of time off road for work and play. I've used Firestone air bags in the past, but the shorter "pancake" style bag doesn't have much range of motion. Is there anything else out there that will still help alleviate some of the sag when loaded heavy, but not degrade my nice ride quality or off-road suspension travel?

Thanks!!
Kelderman, but it won't be cheap.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:57 AM

I went with Hellwig bags. They mount differently than the firestone and air lift bags, so the off-road capabilities are a bit better. I have flexed my truck pretty good a few times and the bags handle it great. I usually keep about 15lbs of air in the bags and the ride seems to actually be a bit better for my truck.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:11 AM

chuck these on and travel won't be a problem nor will ripping a bag and not to mention having to unbolt the bag if your working on the suspension

Daystar's NEW Air Bag Cradle - YouTube

as far as bags I suggest the outboard mount that sits on the spring vs inside the spring and on the axle
Old 01-02-2014, 09:26 AM

Nice road they are driving on Very cool cradle will keep that in mind!
Old 01-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the links and the suggestions. That Daystar deal looked pretty interesting and so do the Hellwig bags. I'll let you guys know what I end up doing.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've been looking at the Airlift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate that has a jounce inside the bag to replace the one you removed when installing air ride which will let you air down the bags to basically 0 psi and not worry about bottoming out and pinching the bags and should give a good range of motion.

Actually, I'm purchasing these real soon and price point is pretty good. Autoanything.com has them for 336.42
Old 01-02-2014, 02:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The Airlift bags and that Daystar locating cup/cradle might be a pretty slick combination.

Wasn't there a TSB out about the rear sag on the F250s? I thought I read something about Ford replacing the 2" blocks with 4" pieces for free. This sound familiar to anyone else?
Old 02-14-2014, 08:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just an update: I ended up going with the AirLift airbag kit and the Daystar airbag cradles. There was a problem, however. The normal amount of weight my truck carries (toolbox + transfer tank) had the bags packed down so far, the truck rode like crap. I ended up removing the lower airbag bracket and cutting off the bumpstop ear from the leaf spring block. I used a generic axle mount bracket to mount the Daystar cradle directly to the axle. Now, at static ride height, the bag floats about 1" above the cradle. The truck rides just like stock, but as soon as it starts to take on some load and squat down, the bags contact and take up the slack.
Attached Thumbnails
Airbags that don't reduce ride quality and travel??-airbag-bracket-1.jpg  
Old 05-27-2014, 07:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have firestone bags and the cradles what did you use to fill the whole on the bottom of the bag if I use the supplied bolt it will hit the bolt that mounts the craddle to the bracket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.