Kind of a "spork" question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 09:35 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Kind of a "spork" question

I'm not really sure where this belongs, like a "spork", so I'll ask it here.

Looking to upgrade my current tow rig from an 08 Ram to a new 350 dually. I like the Ram, just sucks for long distance comfort (cheap leather, horrible padding, small quad cab). We see a lot of Ford's at every campsite (nearly 6:1 over everything else) and I'm curious as to why; are they really that much better at towing a heavy fiver (current rig is a 34' toy hauler, usually loaded to over 12,000)? My main concerns deal with seat comfort; how do they fare on long hauls of over 600 miles at a stretch? Cloth or leather more comfortable?

I've been wanting a new SD since selling the 2000, but couldn't pass up the deal on my Dodge. Basically, it will come down to details and cost:

I want an XLT crew 4x2 (only use 4x4 to back RV onto lot at home, mainly due to being grass and dirt; will pave next year) with almost no options except work related (fiver hitch, bed step, Power Scope, rapid heat, etc). She (read US) wants a loaded KR 450. That's more of a personal issue, but would also like feedback on if the higher trims really make a comfort/fatigue difference while towing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 09:45 AM
Premium Member

You should get some reviews on local Ford dealerships and pick one that is most highly recommended (drive farther if you have to). Talk to said dealer and tell them what you are looking for... ask them if you can hook onto your RV and test drive the tow. A good dealership (the kind that goes out of their way to please customers) will let you test drive the truck in tow. This will be the most valuable review.

Going onto a Ford forum you'll obviously notice that the bias is toward Fords. Can you guess what Dodge/Ram forums will recommend? GMC/Chevy??? Your best bet is to test drive.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I will say you really should at least get a one ton dually.

My 2000 Lariat seats aren't bad. I can go for quite a while without being too uncomfortable. But everyone needs to just stretch sometimes.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:28 PM

The Ford seats blow the dodges out of the water for sure... the 2nd gen Dodge seats are actually quite comfortable, but no available crew cab and a noisy engine drove a lot of people to Fords in that era.

the trucks are built a lot better... I've owned a LOT of Dodges and having been in Fords for a few years, there's no way I could go back. It's just a much better truck overall.

I'd also venture to sound a bit snobbish in saying that the people who can afford the luxury of RV'ing/camping/etc. regularly can afford a little nicer truck even if it requires a little extra maintenance here and there.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:27 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Honestly for me i always have thought cloth seats are wayyy more comfortable than leather(because it stretches more than leather) especially for longer hauls. Leather isnt that terrible but i prefer to sink in my seats than float on hard leather. I have only sat on KR leather once but to me it felt just the same as leather so if your looking for long haul comfort id say go for the xlt.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:36 PM

the 6.4 and 6.7 KR leather is soft...

I prefer leather because it holds up so much better than cloth
Old 10-30-2013, 01:37 PM

Idk about new ones, but Lariat "leather" isn't leather, it's just vinyl.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:37 PM

One of these days when I finally retire and I get the chance to reeley take those long all summer road trips I would love to take the truck down and have a nice set of air ride seats like you find in a Big truck. The seats I had in my 1999 379 Pete were very comfortable. I could and did sit in those for many many many (too many at times) hours on end and I never had a complaint about the seat. The arm rest were perfect and the adjustments were at your finger tips.
You could get a 4 door 2 wheel drive and have the interior custom made for your own taste. You could get the passenger seat to swivel. Take the back seat out and put a small couch kinda like the old vans of the 70's...just a thought.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Idk about new ones, but Lariat "leather" isn't leather, it's just vinyl.
it might not be the finest leather on earth, but it's not vinyl
Old 10-30-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
it might not be the finest leather on earth, but it's not vinyl
Really? I didn't think it was real. Doesn't smell like leather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.