MN GVWR F250 41k - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MN GVWR F250 41k

I live in Minnesota and have no need to leave the state, with the 41k load

So I have a telehandler that weighs approx 25500 lbs (the machines plate only says 23400 pounds but the tires are filled with 500lbs of foam per tire), and I haul it about 1-2 times a month, 5-30 miles per trip. I carry this on my 06 f250 srw +03 delta tandem duel goose neck (gvwr 23400).

I have scaled the combination at 41k lbs pickup,trailer,and tele handler.

I have scaled the pickup and trailer at 15500, And have scaled the pickup at 7800 lbs? (if my memory serves me right) its an extended cab single rear wheel.

Right now I am stumped on a decision mainly because I don't know exactly what Is legal.

Could I buy a different trailer for my pickup like a gooseneck triple axle with duels (gvwr36k) would I legally be able to haul it with my f250?

Also looking at possible getting an f550 or maybe just getting a tractor trailer combo with a stepdeck/lowboy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What are your axle weights? Might be able to get by with adding an extra axle to your trailer if the pin weight is low enough. Best bet of what I would do is pick up a big truck and pintle hitch trailer for that. Buddy just got a great deal on one for 9500 that is turn key ready to go and nice. Makes dragging around equipment much safer and less stressful.

Brett
Old 10-11-2013, 06:00 PM

I live in nw Iowa and haul almost identical to you and haul into Minnesota a lot with about the same setup well used to I should say. Mn dot even stopped me with the load and have me a quick inspection and sent me on my way. I did what they want us to do in Iowa which is up my registration to 20 tons and had to get my cdl class a . I ended up finally going back to a dual rear wheel for safer feeling. My setup now is my 2011 f350 and I have a 53' flatbed gooseneck that is rated for 26,000. You should be fine but I would recommend a dually just for stability. A lot of guys don't like to see that behind a pickup but I made a trip from Iowa to Columbus ohio picked up a telehandler,platform,bucket,forks,and a rafter boom drove back hit all the scales and never once did I get fined or shutdown. Only thing I've been getting fined for lately is window tint and I didn't have my dot numbers on right away. Also they are starting to get pretty picky on the amount of chains and straps u have on everything. For instance on a telehandler a dot told me minimum five chains . 4 on machine in the four corners and one over the forks or boom. Everything else on trailer needs two per item and if they are straps no straps on the outside of trailer and always have the ratchets to the passenger side

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You legally can't haul that no matter what you do. Better step up to the tractor/trailer
Old 10-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Dougs right there is no legal way you can haul that with your current truck and trailer setup
CDL time
Old 10-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies, skinny how many miles would you say you carry your telehandler in Mn? I always hear Iowa Is alot stricter with dot regulations but Im sure each person picks at differn't things, as for a pintle hitch trailers, I don't like the look of pintles on pickups people say they are stronger but I would get a tractor for pulling a pintle trailer then I would already be set up for the air brakes.

As for the tractor trailer comment I'm young(21) so I'm gun shy about spending 5 grand on a truck 15k on a trailer and 1k annually to licence a tractor trailer rig.

Lastly I've had my class A +endorsments since I was 18 but I would not need a cdl in Mn even if i was grossing 80,000 lbs Since I wouldn't be "for hire" just hauling my own personal property.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:59 PM

I've gone all the way from home (Sheldon Iowa) to Minneapolis with my crew cab 2500 srw and usually I'm about 60 miles or so into mn and all over Iowa and like I stated earlier always stop at the scales and never have any issues. I don't pull with a pintle hitch either never cared for them. My telehandler is a ingersoll rand vr42c and weighs at 24500 . My main reason for going drw was for stability and also cause I'm constantly pulling 18k plus and that is too much for a srw all the time IMHO . Iowa dot is very strict to although now empty I have to pull into scales in sd and mn lol blew by one a while back and they made me turn around to prove a point I guess lol.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You do have to have a CDL for anything over 26k lbs. What you so is buy a small tractor and set up an big goose neck that is rated for what you need to haul and start that way. Trust me, the money spent will be far less painful and troublesome than getting popped by DOT, even once. You have any kind of wreck with the setup you have now, you'll be screwed for a long time.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:06 PM

Correct on the cdl I was told during my annual inspection if the pulling rig is a gvwr of 10,001 or higher cdl required even if it's not for hire also of your combined gvwr (not actual weight ) is 26,001 or more cdl required. They are actually starting to pull people with campers over now to check registration and licenses now and I have a friend who got a ticket because his registration wasn't up to par. State of Iowa registers trucks for 3 ton and it's up to the owner to know to raise that kinda crappy on their part for not telling the public but I guess it's their way of getting revenue

Old 10-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If I was to get a tractor/trailer setup I would go for the full 80k to move my tele, sizzor lift and skidloader in 1 load. Not to mention I could hopefully pick up odd haul jobs here and there. All probably intrastate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.