Opinions Gooseneck Grain Trailer with a 6.4L F250 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 09:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Opinions Gooseneck Grain Trailer with a 6.4L F250

New to the forum and new to the Powerstroke.

My current truck 2008 Ford F250 CC SB 3.55 gear ratio 10,000LB. GVWR package so it has factory overload leaf springs and the truck also has Firestone airbags installed. Factory camper package and brake controller.

Adding to the truck in the next few weeks; DPF Delete, EGR Delete, ARP Head Studs, Coolant Filter kit, AirDog liftpump with twin filters and lastly a Spartan tuner(friend has one so I just have to buy a second vin license). Maybe do a S&B intake kit and MPRB intercooler piping, maybe.

What I am looking at purchasing is a gravity dump grain trailer 400-450 bushels with twin 16,000 pound axels and 17.5" dual wheels on them. According to illinois this type of trailer is considered "farm implement" and I can run a gross trailer weight of 36,000 pounds. Trailer will be ruffly 18' long and just under 10' high. Empty weight under 5,000 pounds

Distance of travel will be 100ish miles loaded with Popcorn on flat central Illinois roads

Background information; Yes, we have a semi truck and trailer on the farm. Why do this, I guess because I like towing stuff, it will help out my family because a second semi truck and trailer doesn't make financial sense. My father farms and I help, but have a full time job on second shift. Trailer would pull a second duty as being a seed tender in the spring for our farm and maybe rent to a seed salesman.

I have drove a neighbors 6.0L Ford CC SB truck unknown gears with his 30' gooseneck and a gravity box chained down with 18,000 pounds of potash/dap loaded in it. Truck has studs, exhaust and an unknown tuner (he told the dealer he wanted more power and he is in 50s and doesn't pay care about brand). Truck handled the load really well, even going up a large hill in town.

My question to all those who have towed heavy are:

1) How bad is it going to be with my trucks 3.55 gears? should I just accpet that I need not go into overdrive and just cruise at say 50mph? I drive over a 100 miles a day for work and hate to regear the truck to 4.10s, but would a gear vendors overdrive help with pulling?

2) Will my transmission handle the weight? I drive like an old woman, slow and steady with lots of coasting.

3) Am I going to just tear the life out of my truck pulling 36,000 pounds say 10,000 loaded miles a year?

I greatly appriate any and all input and I have attached some pictures to give an idea of the trailer. Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Opinions Gooseneck Grain Trailer with a 6.4L F250-trailer.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 04:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i have never pulled with ta 6.4 but i dont see any problem towing it.
i tow over 16000 with my 250 so pull away.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you forthe reply. I havent pulled the trigger on purchasing the trailer yet.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Don't you worry about it

Just fyi, the 10,000 lb rating doesn't have anything to do with it having overloads. You must have the camper package or something.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

IC, yes the truck has the camper package. Thank you.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:52 PM

36,000 is a lot for a F350, let alone a F250.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I know its a lot of weight and I am in no way agrueing that, im asking will the truck hold up or am I just going to blow out the transmission, transfer case, u-joints, axle, leafsprings?
Old 10-14-2013, 08:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Fred View Post
I know its a lot of weight and I am in no way agrueing that, im asking will the truck hold up or am I just going to blow out the transmission, transfer case, u-joints, axle, leafsprings?
If there is anything that will get hurt in that scenario IS your tranny.

You have to ease up on it, esp. from take off (and I know you will with your driving habits).........but, oh man.........you ARE giving your tranny a breaking point test (and thats only cause of your gear ratio).

You were talkin about some engine mods. What about a deeper trans. pan & a better cooler (w/ electric fan).
It will help......................I think.

As far as a "gear vendors" go...........You defiantly DO NOT want that.

Gear vendors will split your gears even further (except for 4th speed, in your case the 3.55). Its meant to rev your engine LESS between gears, thus making it more efficient (this works ONLY when you re empty though).
Old 10-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I know its for farm use, but if you ever get in an accident and someone gets seriously hurt with that 36k load + weight of your truck. Your screwed. Your way over gvwr of what the truck's designed use is.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-14-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
I know its for farm use, but if you ever get in an accident and someone gets seriously hurt with that 36k load + weight of your truck. Your screwed. Your way over gvwr of what the truck's designed use is.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Looking at the trailer it doesn't look like there is a terrible amount of pin weight. He might still be under his gross weight. But if they load the rear end a little more i would think there wouldn't be any problems.

Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.