first camper trailer tow report!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 08:40 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
first camper trailer tow report!!

so towed a 23ft camper from Travis AFB to monterey CA, then back 2 days later about 304 miles. to finish up a scuba certification test and heres the spread so far...

04 f350 4in lift 35's, studded, deleted blue spring, straight pipe straight pipe 3.5in exhaust. trailer was a bumper pull weighted at 4703lb

average temps (went up on hills highest was 224 oil and 212 coolant)
ECT 208
EOT 216-218 normal going 54-59 at 2000-2100 rps on tow mode.
trans 160's-178 max

ran stock program so only had the egr delete check engine light on. i checked it mid trip both ways only egr code came on.

truck did really well but my lie-o meter said 9.9-10.6 mpg whole way... now my 35's are 9.33% larger then my stock tires so i just add about 1 mpg to that?

a dodge friend towed a 27ft fifth wheel with a 4 door 2wd 2003 5.9 common rail claimed he got 17 on way down few hrs after i got there... sounds little high but...?

Last edited by JustinOOO9; 09-22-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 09:01 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
You are tuned, right? If you are don't even look at the lie-O-meter. Custom tunes (or canned one too) mess up the systems calculations. Don't worry and just go by actual hand calculations...
Old 09-22-2013, 09:20 PM
Serving Our Country!

i tried my first custom tune and it ran sweet for like 3 days then started throwing all sorts of turbo and injector codes... so reset to stock and for week no codes and left it stock for the tow trip just in case only had the egr code from the delete. mostly curious about what to calculate to get correct mpg and if anyone saw good bad temps etc...

also my trans temp was 167-178 the whole time never got above 178 and only hit it on a friggin huge hill that i hit 224 EOT on. '

anyone think the tow+5-hp canned sct tune would of been fine for 5k rounded up weight trailer?
Old 09-22-2013, 09:35 PM
RollinEarly05...now

I'm sure it would have been okay for the motor... Trans tuning with canned tunes, but I wouldn't trust it. To calculate mpg fill up and reset trip odometer, afterthought trip fill up again (preferably at same gas station and same pump) and make sure you fill up the same. If you fill up the first time and just let it click off and stop, or top it off once more, or completely fill it up to the top of the fuel filler neck. Then divide the number of miles into the gallons used.

Example 400 miles (read off trip odometer after trip) divided by 20 gallons (what it took to fill up the second time) and you get an honest 20 mpg...
Old 09-22-2013, 10:02 PM
Serving Our Country!

im good on basic mpg... but with my 35's my speedo is off so my odometer is off too. i know with larger tires im going little further miles wise before i fill up but curious if anyone knew the formula to find the corrected mpg... exp:

with my stock tire size i go 280 miles and devide gallons its accurate because my computer is programmer with the stock tire size but if i got 280 miles with 35's i actually went little further because the 35in tire does less revolutions per mile then the i believe 32in stock tire etc...
Old 09-22-2013, 10:13 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Haha, my bad. I'm not sure about that one but I bet you are traveling 69 when the speedo says 65. Do you have GPS on your phone to confirm actually speed?
Old 09-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Serving Our Country!

ya but wasn't using it since i've driven there before with different vehicle. I'll use like google maps or mapquest and compare the miles to my trip meter for now and see.

I was just expecting little more then 11mpg with only like 5200lb weight going 55ish ya know haha.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
What was your stock tire size? What size are you running now?

Assuming your stock size is: 265/75R16 = 31.6"

Assuming your current size is: 315/75R16 = 34.6"

The 315 is 9.3% larger than the 265. Add 9.3% to your miles traveled. Then divide my the gallons to fill up.

Example:

Trip Meter = 400 miles + 9.3% correction = 437.2 Actual Miles Traveled / 20 gal. fill-up = 21.86 MPG

You can use this website to figure the tire size difference:

Tire Calculator and Comparator

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.