Need PA hauling advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 05:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need PA hauling advice

I live in PA and I want to get a bigger trailer to haul one of my tractors with. The biggest weighs 12k and I may need to haul it twice a month so I'm looking at a 16-18k trailer. I recently re-read the towing capacity specs from Ford to make sure I'll be legit and according to it, my '12 350 ccsb 4wd srw 3.55 rear GCWR maxes out at 23500. My registration lists GVWR correctly but does not list a GCWR. When I was a fleet mechanic the company bought several F650's that the registered GCWR was 5k or so less than the Ford specs. It took an act of congress and a letter from Ford to get the GCWR raised. My dealer says I'll be fine but the last thing I want is DOT to tell me I'm wrong. The notary shops I called all gave different answers. What is the actual truth? How are others hauling more with less? I guess I'll keep my eye open for an F450. Oh and anything over 8500 requires a weight distributing hitch...really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would recommend getting a gooseneck trailer for starters, not a bumper hitch type. Second although you will be maxing out at your weights your trucks should be fine. I don't know what the trailer weight is but your truck is rated for 15,900 lbs with a gooseneck / fifthwheel. Personally I have never seen DOT mess with the pickups that much, especially if you are doing it as a private hauler and not commercial.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:07 PM

Oh and you would have been good if you had a dually with 3.73 gears just for the record. Keep in mind though if you get into an accident and someone can prove you were overloaded they could come after you legally.... then again in most accidents these days people will come after you no matter what.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:21 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've hauled much more with much less for years. Nobody is checking.....
Old 09-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Premium Member

If you don't have a GCWR in the door, you are in great shape. If you get combo tags they will add the GVWR of the truck and trailer. The one thing you have to be careful with is those weights add up to over 26k, you will need a Class A CDL unless you can file for the farm exemption. I have a side business as a hot shotter. I have a CDL. Right now I am running a '08 SRW F350 and I am legal up to 31900 GCWR cause my trailer is rated for 21500 and my truck is rated for 11400. Even though some may say don't worry about, I disagree. Especially if you are in central or western PA the DOT is looking to crack down on hot shot setups because of all of the oil and gas trucks running there.

BTW my owner's manual only recommends a GCWR of 24000 for my truck.
As someone said earlier, get a GN trailer. They pull way better than a bumper pull.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:26 PM

His weight should be well below 26k pounds. Quick guess would be in the 22k to 23k pound range once you count the trailer, tractor, and truck. I didn't know that the DOT were cracking down on hotshot drivers but if he does not have DOT numbers on his truck they should leave him alone.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfarmrboy View Post
His weight should be well below 26k pounds. Quick guess would be in the 22k to 23k pound range
His weight may be but his CGVWR won't be.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:04 PM

Very true.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfarmrboy View Post
His weight should be well below 26k pounds. Quick guess would be in the 22k to 23k pound range once you count the trailer, tractor, and truck. I didn't know that the DOT were cracking down on hotshot drivers but if he does not have DOT numbers on his truck they should leave him alone.
Remember, the need for a CDL is not based on the weight you are towing, it is based on the weight RATING. Legally, no one could drive my truck and trailer even empty without a CDL. This is important because it means a more capable trailer (such as a dual tandum) GN or a bigger truck (F450, F550) will actually require a CDL before using lesser capable equipment (single wheel trailers or F250 or F350s) even if they are towing the same load (that don't make much sense to me).
In all likelihood, the OP would probably be fine from a legal standpoint to haul his tractor on whatever he wanted to (as long as all the axles were not over-weighted) because a tractor is not typically used at well sites, he doesn't have and may not need a DOT #, and the crackdown I mentioned was based on what DOT officers I have spoken to who have said. Their main concern was there are out of state hot shotters grossing 36+k lbs with duallys.
Before I ever started hot shotting, I use to tow dump trailers and GN flatbeds and I never was stopped by the DOT (I never went in a weigh station). Maybe I was lucky cause I do know one guy who was stopped in NC for passing a weigh station. He was using his own F450 to tow his own F250. He was polite to the officer and he is an active duty Green Beret who is a double ampute so the officer let him go. The officer told him the minimum fine would have been $1600 for passing a weigh station. I can't confirm the officer was correct on the fines, but it did motivate to make sure I do everything by the book. Whether it is commercial or not, I would follow the FMCSA's requirements for securing a load just to be safe.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:11 PM
Premium Member

A little update on weigh stations. Friday, I took off on a run. Here was the load.
Need PA hauling advice-loads.jpg

I came to a weigh station 20 miles from the pick up location. There were a number of rigs in front of me and I got signaled to pull off to the side. I hadn't even made it on to the scale when I got pulled aside. Anyways, I had to go through a Level II safety check....this meant it I had to provide evidence of trailer/truck inspections, CDL, DOT #, active MC#, UCR. The trailer and load were inspected, etc. After that was all over I had to back up and cross the scale (the weight over the trailer axles was 17400 [that trailer is rated for 20k over the axles so I was fine]). Fortunately, the enforcing officer was cool and we started some small talk while he was waiting on his computer to verify some of my numbers. Anyways, after sitting there for 45 minutes, he didn't find any violations. When it was all over, I asked him why he chose me (there were 10 trucks ahead of me and there had to be at least 100 rigs go through the weigh station while I was going through inspection) and he said because I was driving a hot shot setup. He said most of the time he has found them to not be registered legally, over-weighted for their registration, etc. This was in WV (about 40 miles from PA) so you probably should be cautious with them. Later, on that same run, when I was in PA, a rollback in front of me passed a weigh station and they chased him down and pulled him over. I am sure that will be a hefty fine.

Before any says anything, yes, the skid steer was loaded too far forward....it didn't run and the forklift operator was struggling getting on my trailer. When he finally got it on, I had him center it in the middle and said that was good enough since I only was taking it about 400 miles.

Last edited by B585Ford; 09-23-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.