brake controller reccomendations - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 09:11 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
brake controller reccomendations

so my truck has the bake plugs on the rear hitch the 4-way and 7-way and next month I'll be pulling a 23ft camper (bumper pulled) from Fairfield CA to monteray about 5.5 hrs (round trip) for a weekend to finish my scuba certification.

1. found I have a brake controller adapter for a plug n play behind lower dash, and I have both a flat and round trailer plug in back (never had to set up so which one would i normally use)?
2. what brake controller you recommend?

I did some research on the time delay vs proportional and think I would like to go with the proportional since its easier on braking systems
Just curious what you guys recommend? prodigy, reese, takensha, like 9 brands i found and my old truck already had one so i never shopped for one.

thanks for input I will also be going from a 8in lift to a 4in lift next week and do you recommend using a tow tune or just trans tune to keep my egr delet from causing a CEL. im studded, deleted, elc converted and coolant filtered with 55k on it.

Last edited by JustinOOO9; 08-21-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

7 Way is what you need for trailer plugs.
Tekonsha 9030 is basic, and works.
MaxBrake is the best.
I hate time delay.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:29 PM

I have the prodigy P3 and love it. As for the tow tune people say different things and I'm no expert by any means. The tuner places will tell you get a tow tune because it changes the shift points and line pressure I believe. Others will say tow in the tune that you don't get high egts with. For me I'm only towing 7-8k and for now ill probably just tow in the lower HP tune and see how it does, worse case ill put it in the stock tune and send my chip out and add the tow tunes.new to me truck so I haven't towed with it yet so we shall see. I can update you after Saturday and let you know what I find out.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:42 PM
Serving Our Country!

ok, sounds good and yea if ya wanna let me know how it ran ya that would be great. Never towed with any tuning done and im studded deleted etc... but just wanna have fun and be smart at same time. I ended up ordering this set up, came with lifetime warranty and the video explained a few features i liked.

this is what i got:

Curt TriFlex Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 4 Axles - Proportional Curt Brake Controller C51140

what you guys think?
Old 08-22-2013, 03:35 AM

Looks like a good, decent, basic controller. Should be fine.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Serving Our Country!

thanks i appreciate it. I really dont tow that much, but was surprised that my truck didn't come with controller but all the trailer attachments etc... me and my 3 roommates all tow our 4runners to the trails maybe 3 times a yr. any recommendations on a cb for the tow trucks mostly just for fun and to fill the big dash up?
Old 08-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It is really easy to hook them up. Took me less than 5 minutes. Pretty much plug and play. I have been using the prodigy for a long time. It is very easy to use. I am sure that there are other good ones too. But please make sure that once you have the trailer hooked up, you adjust the controller for that trailer. I just talked with a guy that had to use the runaway ramp on the grapevine because he didnt setup his controller right before he took off. The tow out of the gravel cost him $600.00. It is real easy to set up, but it is a must. Just read the instructions... and off you go.

Also, have fun in Monterey. I did my cert there too and it was a lot of fun. But, man, 52 degree water is cold even in a 7mm suit. BRRRRRR....
Old 08-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Serving Our Country!

haha the instructors said same thing about a 7mm suit... I figured being from top of idaho might help im always trying to dodge the heat here in cali... ya i've been watching a few videos and gonna call my Dad about adjusting it and tow the trailer around the town for a few before i hit the road. its got those extra bars for weight distribution too. thx again looking forward to trying to dive more.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:22 PM

Another vote for the p3
Old 08-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Serving Our Country!

you guys suck lol.... the prodigy looks cool as heck too :/ the one I ordered seems to have most features I need just not a memory for multiple trailers. I know its only a 5 min install but anyone ever put it not by your feet? my job requires steel toe or (safety toe) boots I was thinking of putting it above the t-case shift stick maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.