Towing mpg's - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towing mpg's

I recently traded a Mustang I had for a 31 foot Coachman camper trailer. YES!!! Family is going to have killer camping trips with rain storms not ruining a weekend. We just took our very first trip with the camper to Garner State Park. I have two 7.3L Powerstrokes my work truck is a F350 4x2 and my personal truck is a slightly lifted 4x4 with 315/75R16 All Terrain tires.

To my horror I was averaging 7.5 mpg most of the way on my F250. I was doing about 60-65 and was trying to keep RPM's at 2k but sometimes the tranny would downshift and I would have to back off let it upshift and ease back on the pedal.

I did notice a slightly better economy on one particular tank full when I filled at a truckers diesel pump which gave me 9.31 might have also been a less hilly section of road but I couldn't be sure.

I am calculating using the FuelLog app.

Now for the questions. Is fuel economy this low normal for these trucks? I know my F350 does much better, it can do hours of highway with no stops. What can I do to improve it? It is nerve wrecking driving Texas back roads not knowing when the next gas station will be. How do I keep the tranny holding at 2000 going up a hill without downshifting? Am I driving the truck right?

As comments come in I will probably have more questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 11:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Truck is 100% stock?

Let it breathe. Get an exhaust and intake for it. Also get a chip so it has the power and doesn't want to downshift. Those should help you get better MPG.

Also is your speedo adjusted for your 35s?
Old 08-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It has an air intake but that is it. No calibration for tires. Not even sure what size in inches they are.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

A quick Google of 315/75R16 gave me size 37.7 tall and 15.5 wide.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3Leader View Post
A quick Google of 315/75R16 gave me size 37.7 tall and 15.5 wide.

There's you're main problem. You're 60-65 is probably more like 68-75. A regear and tunes would be a must imo
Old 08-13-2013, 12:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Regearing sounds awfully expensive. The truck came with these tires and as it is they are showing a little age with small cracks on the sidewalls. I don't really mind downsizing when the time comes to buying new tires. What make, model and size would give me a good highway drive?
Old 08-13-2013, 12:48 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Down shifting is good actually, keeps you from lugging and creating a low boost high egt situation
Old 08-13-2013, 12:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3Leader View Post
Regearing sounds awfully expensive. The truck came with these tires and as it is they are showing a little age with small cracks on the sidewalls. I don't really mind downsizing when the time comes to buying new tires. What make, model and size would give me a good highway drive?
If they're old and cracking that time has come. Going down to smaller tire will help your fuel economy. Also your calculated mpg isn't accurate since the tires are a different size, unless the app you're talking about uses gps for your miles driven?
Old 08-13-2013, 01:14 PM

First off congrats on the camper. I see your down in South East TX,if you ever plan on heading up into Colorado give me a shout!
Have you thought about the MPGMAX water methonal set up? Wouldnt take long to pay itself back.
And ya Im not real pleased with how often I gotta fill up with my 2005. I talked with a local welding shop and they will custom biuld me a tank that will fit under my tool box in the back for around $200. Ya it dosnt help out the mpg's none but at least I get the peace of mind knowin how much fuel I got.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:18 PM

315/75/16's are a 35/12.5 inch tire. your speedo is going to be off.

since you have the intake done thats a plus.
now just get a 4 inch exhaust, some custom tunes. and gauges and your set.
egt and trans temp are a must, boost if you want
custom tunes will help with mpgs, trans shifting because a good tow tune makes a world of difference, and of course more power

and if you experience turbo surge just get a new billet compresor wheel from bd, riffraff, dieselsite.

and if you experience high trans temp while towing look into a 6.0 trans cooler or tru cool max from dieselsite.

that should net some better mpgs, better shifting, and more power

and if you want a little smaller tire go with a 305 or 295 instead of the 315's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.