My first sizable tow. What should I check/upgrade/plan for? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 07:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Question My first sizable tow. What should I check/upgrade/plan for?

Hey all, I'm going to be towing my first ever 8'x20' double axle (double 3500lb axles) trailer probably packed to the top with our house stuff. The trailer will be a pull behind and not a 5th wheel type. It will have electric brakes.

We are moving from Colorado to Washington state and will be hitting a few small and medium sized hills in Wyoming and Washington but my concern is the biggy; Cabbage Hill in Oregon.

I've got an '06 F350 6.0 Supercab longbed SRW with 97,000 miles on it. It's got the 3.73 rear but the tires currently on it are 265/70-17 (31"ish). The truck originally came with 275/70-18 and so the speedo is off. I suspect the smaller tires puts the rear gears at probably about a re-calc'd 3.83'ish. Cruise RPM's at an uncorrected 75mph (probably about 71mph corrected) is about 2100-2200.

The truck is currently stock (including tty head bolts) except for the blue spring mod and a PHP Atlas-40 FICM tune. Exhaust and intake are stock (for now but may not be by the time we move). I do have a ScanGauge-2 and Glowshift Fuel/Boost/Pyro gauge. And I have a coolant filter. Oh and I do have an SCT SF3 sitting here but I have not gotten any custom tunes for it yet and have not even installed the canned tunes on the truck.

My ECT/EOT delta on flat ground at 65mph is 5F. At 75-80mph it can get up to about 8F-10F. My normal ECT when OAT's are around 90 is 198-202. My EOT is 8F-10F above the ECT.

I've towed two ATV's with this truck before but those are light weight compared to the 8x20. However, coming up the mountains in Colorado with those two ATV's I was hitting 1200F quite a bit on the EGT gauge which seems high for such a light load.

And so I was wondering:
- What things should I check/inspect? (Tire pressures, hitch type, etc?)
- What things could I install performance wise to help the engine a little?
- And finally, how to attack Cabbage Hill without killing the engine or me and my wife?

My concerns are these:
1. Trailer weight and sway. Some spots have brutal crosswinds and Cabbage Hill is steep going up and coming down.
2. EGT getting way to high and cooking something.
3. EOT/ECT getting way to high.

Any and all input is definitely welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 08:15 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I just came down from Yellowstone back home to Trinidad and I gotta say I was surprised how even the smaller "hills" effected the eot/ect.
The tow/haul feature worked very nice helping out with the egt's. The 6.0 is happy to lug down and pull if you let it but man does that crank up the egt's.
But the one feature that I used a lot was the manual fan mod.manual fan control
I found that I used the fan control in 2 different ways. The first as you start to approach a pull go ahead and flip the control switch. Basically what I was doing was getting a head start on the temps,before the truck has to. The truck is set up to take care of hot temps when they get hot. You can start taking care of them before the truck has to.
And the 2nd way I found to use the manual fan is I would hit the switch at rest area's or while fueling up the truck. By the time I was back in the truck she was running nice and cool and the ac was ice cold.
By the way the manual fan mod takes about 15 minutes to set up.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:23 AM

Cool! Thanks kinnisoj. I'm going to read up on how to get that done.

Something else I've seen is the "zoodad" mod. And I'm wondering if that might help as well. I mention this because yesterday it was about 89* outside. I was doing a lot of running around. And at one particularly long stoplight, when it finally turned green and I went to take off I noticed that the truck felt more laggy than usual. Kind of spongy on take off. After about 2 - 3 seconds the boost built up and it hooked up and off it went. There was no roar of the fan.

At the next light I decided to check the intake air temp and it was reading 100*. It would drop down to 89*-90* after I had been driving at normal speeds for a few minutes.

I have a completely stock intake and so I was wondering if anyone had done the zoodad mod with a stock intake system and seen a reduction in IAT temps at hot idle? A little extra air while towing certainly wouldn't hurt.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:28 AM

Oh and one more question; my buddy says I should get a 5th wheel enclosed trailer instead of a tow behind enclosed. Other than hitch type and cost I don't see a difference in one or the other. Is a 5th wheel that much better?
Old 08-06-2013, 06:26 PM

^ A lot more stable if your towing a heavy load. Won't bounce around near as much.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:03 PM

The ZOODAD mod is one of those mods that cant hurt anything but probably dosnt reeley help anything either. Especially when the vehicle is at a stop or very slow. I would like though for maybe someone that has more knowledge to step in and talk about intake temps and what we should see or except. Cause I for one have no idea.
As far as the trailer any time your hauling heavy if you can put the weight over the drive tires instead of hanging it off the bumper you are better off. It hauls smoother, it handles the wind better and just stays behind you better.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:10 AM
Serving Our Country!

Hi Soledad. I live in Washington State just across the water from Seattle. I pull a 25" travel trailer that weighs around 8000 lbs and for the first couple of trips we took it on, I was not using the Tow/Haul feature except to help slow down.

I was lurking around the forums learning up on the Tow/Haul feature and used it on my next trip. The difference was incredible! When cruising on a long straight stretch of highway, I clicked it off and the truck immediately shifted into 6th gear, RPMs lowered to around 1700 and all my temperatures and pressure shot up. My EGT's went up a few hundred degrees! It is like riding a bike in a higher gear and your legs start to burn...or...you can down shift and pedal faster but it is easier to do. When I shifted it back on, the truck downshifted to 5th gear, RPM's increased to 2200 and my temperatures came back down, expecially my EGT's.

I have the the same monitoring setup as you (ScanGauge-2, Glowshift pillar pod) except I have EGT, Fuel pressure Transmission Temperature and Coolant Pressure. I have seen EOT get as high as 225-226F when going over the mountain passes pulling my trailer.

The mod that has provided the most bang for the buck was adding a 4" turbo back exhaust. I have several friends who recommended that I delete the CAT but buy an exhaust system with a muffler because of the insanely loud turbo whistle which is cool at times but annoying at other times and the drone when towing. It lowered my EGT's by a couple hundred degrees. I didn't think there was much difference in size between the stock 3.5" exhaust and the 4" but boy was I wrong. I attached some pictures of the difference in size. ( it was really easy to install in my driveway )

I did the Zoodad mod but didn't notice any difference performance wise. I am sure it does make a difference being force fed the air, but it is negligible.

Lastly, be sure to check the boots connecting the turbo and inter-cooler to the CAC pipe. I just replaced my this past weekend because the Turbo one was severely cracked on its bottom side. I read in the forums about people who have had them bust when crossing a mountain pass towing heavy loads, so I checked my and I am glad I did! They ran around $80 each from the Ford Dealer. (I attached a picture of the old one)

I wish you luck on your trip and Godspeed!
Attached Thumbnails
My first sizable tow.  What should I check/upgrade/plan for?-img_0883.jpg   My first sizable tow.  What should I check/upgrade/plan for?-img_0884.jpg   My first sizable tow.  What should I check/upgrade/plan for?-img_0885.jpg   My first sizable tow.  What should I check/upgrade/plan for?-img_1214.jpg  
Old 08-07-2013, 12:30 AM
Serving Our Country!

I forgot to mention that I have an SCT SF3 Tuner and always shift it to stock tune when towing. I love running it on Street tune at times but normally have it on the +50 hp tow tune.

My confidence is not high enough in the stock head bolts to use a higher tune when towing.

Lastly, your question "how to attack Cabbage Hill without killing the engine or me and my wife?". When I first bought my trailer, a friend recommended that when towing the trailer over the mountain passes, don't "drive it over the mountain" by pressing the peddle harder and harder to keep up with traffic. Instead, choose a comfortable and controllable speed, set the cruise control and allow the engine do the work and pull you up and over the mountain.

I am conservative, so I set it a 55 mph, then tap the cruise control to speed up one mph every few minutes while monitoring my parameters.

Once I have installed head studs... I might not be so conservative!!!
Old 08-07-2013, 06:43 AM

Cruise control on a mountain pass?
Old 08-07-2013, 06:48 AM
Serving Our Country!

With the Tow/Haul engaged, I set the cruise and let the engine pull us right over. It stays in 5th gear and 2200 rpm and I can control the speed in one mph increments by tapping the buttons on the steering wheel.

Of course, I have only towed over the passes during the summer months when there is no snow.

Should I not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.