How do you have your (trailer) winch wired? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question How do you have your (trailer) winch wired?

Ok so I put an old winch I had on my new trailer, but I'm a bit perplexed as to the best way to wire it. Its just a Superwinch S4500 trailer winch, but at the max rolling load the manual says it pulls about 320 amps. Seems like a lot to me but this is my first winch.

Anyway I have been running it with a 975cca tractor battery but when I loaded an 01 ram 2500 V10 (weight approx 8K lbs) it really slowed down and almost didn't do the job.
(Mind you the rated rolling vehicle weight for this winch on a 17-degree slope {30% slope} is about 10K lbs.) It pulled the battery from 12.82V (100% charge) to 12.45 (50% charge) I don't know if my battery is weak or if this is normal, either way another good deep cycle battery is about the same money as a good hard wiring kit, so......

Im going to hardwire it to my truck. Remember I need a length running from my engine bay to the back bumper (I figure 20+ ft) and then a 3ft+ length going from the bumper to the winch.

So I looked at buying some welding cable or battery cable along with some quick connect ends and making my own (good excuse to buy a crimper) but for 50ft of 2 gauge wire and the ends Im looking at about $200 give or take. Long story short I found these. 2 Gauge 24 ft 8 ft Universal Quick Connect Wiring Kit Trailer Mounted Winch | eBay (2gauge welding cable, 24' and 8ft with 175A quick connections, crimped with heatshrink) which seems perfect and they are cheaper than making them myself (and built as good if not better than and kit offered by Warn, Superwinch etc) here is what Warn offers, 2 Gauge etc etc Warn Industries - Electrical Accessories for Jeep, Truck & SUV Winches: Quick Connect And some other manufacturers use 4Gauge or even 6Gauge wiring on the same type of kit!

Whats puzzling me is that on both sets (or for that matter, all other sets Ive found) use a 175amp connector? (they use Anderson Powerpoles) Ya its at 600V but still only 175Amps? And warn says its for use up to 15 or 16K lb winches! (My winch is only considered a 4500Lb winch)

Or does it not matter because the 4,096 watts the motor will pull is far less than the 105,000 watts the connector can presumably handle? (Watts=Amps X Volts) Note neither the connector or winch had a rated wattage, I'm just extrapolating based on the voltage and amperage ratings by the manufacturers.

And since we are all here....

I'm curious, what are you guys doing to power your winches?
Whats worked well for you? (and with what loads)
What hasn't worked? (And presumably melted into a pile of plastic and copper)

Last edited by 44magnum; 07-12-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 11:46 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Your over thinking this. The 2ga wire will not carry enough current over that distance to directly power the winch, you might get away with a 2/0. Comparing 4096w vs 105,000w is a bad way of looking at it because your running 12v not 600v which means you can handle about 2,100w through the connector.

You are on the right track using a battery in the trailer. Unfortunately you are using the wrong battery. You should use a deep cycle not a starting battery. If it were me I would use a pair of 6v golf car batteries in series for 12v. Use a 4ga cable, fused at both ends near the batteries to protect the cable. You will also need to setup a 4ga ground between the truck and trailer. The 4ga cable would be for charging the batteries in the trailer.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchuricht View Post
Your over thinking this. The 2ga wire will not carry enough current over that distance to directly power the winch, you might get away with a 2/0. Comparing 4096w vs 105,000w is a bad way of looking at it because your running 12v not 600v which means you can handle about 2,100w through the connector.

You are on the right track using a battery in the trailer. Unfortunately you are using the wrong battery. You should use a deep cycle not a starting battery. If it were me I would use a pair of 6v golf car batteries in series for 12v. Use a 4ga cable, fused at both ends near the batteries to protect the cable. You will also need to setup a 4ga ground between the truck and trailer. The 4ga cable would be for charging the batteries in the trailer.
What he said, I've pulled a F-250 Crew Cab long bed 4X4 into my trailer with an S4000 with a marine battery next to it with no problems. Running the length from the front of the truck to the winch, you'll lose too much power. Marine or golf cart batteries are the only way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.