Hotshot Work? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hotshot Work?

Any forum members have any experience using your pickups in Hotshot service? I recently lost my job after 6 years as a local delivery driver, company lost its biggest contract. The past 2 months I have been riding over the road with my pops in his 18 wheeler and both of us can not help but notice all of the hotshot Fords, Chevys, and Rams you see going up and down the road, especially in the PA area and down thought the mid west and into Texas. I currently am about 2 months away from getting my 05 back on the road after she has sat a year from a blown motor. Do you guys think there would be any money in this line of work? I have a CDL Class A but I don't want to be gone for 2 and 3 weeks at a time like these big OTR trucking companies want you to be. I don't mind going out for a few days to a week as long as I can get back home on or around the weekends. Also if I decide to put my truck into this line of work do y'all think I would save myself a headache by going ahead and doing a Cummins swap?

Just want some people to talk to that might do this work and some guys to bang some ideas off of and get some insight. Local driving jobs, especially here in tiny Delaware that pay good are hard to come by it seems.

Last edited by Lilfarmrboy; 06-27-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013, 03:55 PM

Thread bump... anyone?
Old 06-27-2013, 04:06 PM

Im from Pa. I know a guy doing this for a living and he is doing quite well. From what i understand in the beginning they tell you where and when to go. It could be Monday at noon or Friday at 3 in the morning. It all depends what the demand is. After a few months though they lighten up and you can pick your own loads. This is just one guys experience so take it for what its worth.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:09 PM

Yea I hear they use a lot of hot shot drivers in and around the oil and gas fields up that way. I'm just trying to weigh my options here.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:18 PM
Retired Coastie

I've known some guys that hauled rv's. Can't speak from personal experience, but they seemed to like it. The ones I knew all worked for Horizon.

Order Status - Horizon Transport
Old 06-27-2013, 04:26 PM

I thought about the RV work but I also hear that if they can't keep you loaded all the time so you might have to go out of the way on your own dime to get your next load. At least (well with my way of thinking) if you did the hot shot stuff with your own 40 foot trailer it should make it easier to get/find loads.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:00 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There used to be money in it but not any more,
Old 06-27-2013, 05:01 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Instead of spending all that money doing a cummins swap why don't you invest I an older semi truck and trailer and do so real hauling!!!
You'll make alot more money then hauling small loads and you already have your class A license!

You can start your own Owner/Operator company and be on your own schedule. Exactly what you wanted and putting money into a great investment... Instead of just an engine swap.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-27-2013, 06:50 PM

SixO regardless of what direction I take with the truck it needs a new motor. I'm pretty sure I am going to stick with the 6.0, just make sure its gets the goodies before everything goes back together. I'm lucky in one regard because my truck had most of the new upgrades from Ford put on before I bought it so most of it would just be a direct swap. I don't want a high horsepower truck but I would like a little more than the 325hp. I'm thinking something in the 375 to 400hp range would be good and still be able to run the stock tranny.

As far as the hotshot stuff I have heard good and bad, it really depends on who you hook up with and where you run. Some parts of the country are better than others. I thought about buying my own rig (my father owns his own truck) but with that comes a lot of expensive repair bills if you do not know how to fix something. At least on my truck I do know how to fix most things on it, I just don't have the right shop setup to swap my motor out.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:53 PM

Bottom line is I could get my own truck or drive company for someone but I don't want to be out on the road 2 to 3 weeks like most of these big companies want you to be. I don't mind staying a day or two out but the OTR life is not for me. When you factor in the new CSA rules that go into effect for truckers July 1st it becomes even more important to be back toward the weekends unless you want to be stuck at a truck stop all weekend... no thanks. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.