An F450 towing Myths and fairy tales part one: - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 04:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
An F450 towing Myths and fairy tales part one:

We just lemon Lawed our 5th wheel and I had to stop by our RV dealer to get the refund on the extended warranty. Probably get $500 eventually. That's another thread for later.

We recently ordered another new, different brand 5th wheel and the owner of the RV dealer spotted me and asked me what we're going to tow the new 5th wheel with?
I mentioned we'll be ordering the 2014 F450 when ordering "opens up" in late June.

The guy that owns the RV dealer is a pretty sharp guy,, but then he hit me with: "If you plan to tow it with an F450, you have to lift the RV because the F450 is too tall. The RV suspension is removed and a 4" metal box frame is installed between the suspension and the coach. The last guy we sold this RV to had to do that because he had a new F450."

I was pretty crestfallen,, no way was I going that route. I'm a bone-stock, plug and play person. I hate radical mods to anything. The farther ya get from stock, the farther ya get from reliable and warranty coverage. The F450 is as close to plug and play as you can get. Comes with the 5th wheel hitch, has the suspension ya need, brake controller, wireing on and on. Yeah,, with the 6.7,, the F450 is the way to roll this time around.

So,, I tracked that customer down that did the metal box frame mod to his 5th wheel. I was determined to bust this latest fairytale.

"You'll be fine stock" he told me. Then added " I did a lift on the truck, and replaced the 18" wheels with 22" and much higher profile tires that added 3 more inches to the height of the F450. On top of that, I extended the RV 6 more feet with a platform on the back to carry more ATV's. I had to box frame the RV chassis for the RV lift, it comes "flipped from the factory" and had to change the pin hitch. You'll be fine stock" went his story.

So I stopped off at Ford and measured the bed height, the stopped by the dealer and measure the pin height with the RV level,, added the hitch height,, and it's dead on perfect bone stock.

So now, after dealing with one childs Lymphatic cancer for the past 3 years and beating it twice,, life must be good if all I have to worry about what color new F450 to buy.

The Bananas are here:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013, 12:40 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Glad you took it upon yourself to figure it out for sure, just Kause people sell something does not mean they know much about it
Old 05-18-2013, 03:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think the salesman was just trying to help but he had no idea what he was saying.
I like the color on the trailer though
Get the F450 paint matched.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
I think the salesman was just trying to help but he had no idea what he was saying.
I like the color on the trailer though
Get the F450 paint matched.
Yep, either the Red or the Grey.
The 450 looks correct in grey. Goes well with the trucks trim.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:44 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I will be following this thread to see which color you decide on and congrats to your little one.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Premium Member

Sweet looking trailer!!

Tom
Old 05-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Smart man! Nice work doing your research. Sales people are always so uneducated on their product it's amazing. You need to know what want and have done your research before you go down to the lot or you will get hosed.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

There are two different F450s available. The Chassis Cab models are (I believe) higher than the ones with pickup beds. Perhaps that was the source of the salesperson's confusion? My 450's bed deck is much taller than that of a regular pickup bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.