Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Mobile home axles

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  351fifty 
#1 ·
I mite be picking up an older RV but looks like it has mobile home axles judging by the rims on it, I need to know if mobile home axles are any good for hauling long distance, I plan on hauling my own stuff and this rv is a sweet deal, just want to know if the mobile home axles are as bad as I've heard

#3 ·
Where can I find tires and rims for this? Btw it's a bumper pull and 30 ft long

#4 ·
Alot of guys around here run these axles on their homemade trl's. Seem to take a beating just fine.

#5 ·
There's a reason why those mobile home semis have 6 axles on them...the homes don't weigh much but they are able to get the tires for almost nothing for the wheels and still pass DOT inpections, hence, lots of cheap tires. If they are mobile home axles, I wouldn't waste my time with the trailer.

#6 ·
Best part is its free, so worth the time if I can find tires and keep several spares for the haul

#7 ·
Just because they look like mobile home axles doesn't mean anything. Here is a John deere 1135 equipment trailer, Notice the axles,

#10 ·
You're kidding yourself if you think that mobile home axles and the tires that are usually on them are worth hauling on. I haul on a regular basis and there is no way that I would put a $70,000 backhoe or a $50,000 skid steer on one.

Sure, if you're not hauling heavy and/or often, you can probably get by hauling a couple round bales. Free or not, I want to know my equipment is ready for whatever I can put on it.

#11 ·
we have a 16' trailer that has the rims like a MH axle but there not, the trailer will handle 15000lbs, the tires are not high but they can not be balanced so the trailer shakes when empty. i have towed 1000's of miles and only had 1 tire problem, let if get low and it came off the rim in a sharp turn in the yard.

#13 ·
It had brakes, but somebody beat me to it by 10 minutes, the plug for hooking it to the trucks power was cut off

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.