In bed tank/pump wired to upfitter? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 06:24 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
In bed tank/pump wired to upfitter?

I'm wanting to wire my pump thats on my auxiliary in bed tank/pump to my one of my upfitter switches. Right now its just a temporary setup and I have to open the hood and hook the cables to the battery every time I want to pump. I have been non-stop filling generators lately and would like to wire it up so I don't have to mess with hooking up under the hood. The pump is just a standard FR1200C pump like the ones at Tractor Supply and other places. In the specs it lists 20 amps, so I'm assuming one of the 30 amp upfitters should be fine.

Curious if anyone else has wired theirs up to an upfitter switch, and if so, any ideas, suggestions or tips would be great.

Here is the pump:

Here is how I have to do it right now:

I also want to have some sort of plug on the end that goes to the bed. Like a male/female plug to hook up to. Similar to a fifth wheel trailer plug mounted in the bed. That way when I swap over to different tanks, or take them out completely, I can just unplug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 09:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It would work fine using either upfitter switch #1 or #2 since they are rated at 30 amps. But you do need to have the key on for the upfitters to work.

You can just install a trailer plug socket in your bed just like for a 5th wheel, and wire your pump to the male end of a matching plug. You only need to hook up 2 of the connections (+12v and ground) on the plug if you have no plans to use a 5th wheel trailer with that truck. This would make using your pump very quick and easy!!!
Old 04-24-2013, 05:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I wired my Tuthill this way: positive wire from battery, in-line fuse, wire under truck, wire through hole in bed, wire plug/socket in bed, in-line switch, wire connected to Tuthill.

The in-line switch is not acutually needed if the switch on the Tuthill is easily reached.

I connected to the driver-side battery to avoid getting the wiring close to the exhaust system.

I also ran a matching negative wire to the battery to assure full amperage.

Works like a charm.

On the Tuthill, I also added fuel filters to keep the equipment free of contaminants and water in the fuel. I run all the truck's fuel through the auxiliary tank for several reasons: it keeps the fuel fresh, and it assures the fuel that reaches the F250's tanks is well filtered for sediment and water. Using the auxiliary tank also makes it easy to treat the fuel for any additives I might need, including Biobar for microbes should they ever become a problem.

Last edited by Airstreamer67; 04-24-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.