towing / gvrw sticker - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 01:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
towing / gvrw sticker

Ok Iv searched (probably not very good) but I cant find what wieght trailer I can tow. I keep reading about GCWR but I cant find that on my sticker. Iv found GVWR(11400) and my understanding is that is what the truck can weigh loaded. Theres a front and back GAWR of 5200/6900. Its a 06 350 SRW CC 4x4 short bed king ranch. My sprinter weighs about 9400 pounds. Any direction would be appreciated. Dont know if the vin helps but its 1FTWW31P86EC03770
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 01:59 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
250 or 350 srw or drw? What year

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-29-2013, 02:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
250 or 350 srw or drw? What year

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
06 SRW 350 king ranch short bed 4x4
Old 03-29-2013, 02:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If your Sprinter weighs about 9400lbs, without weighing on a scale assume 15% (conservative) of that is on your hitch, so 1400lbs. Your Tire and Loading sticker should have your payload written on it. If it does, subtract the 1400lbs from your payload, then subtract the weight of all your passengers, gear, truck boxes, heavy duty bumpers, etc. and then add 150lbs. Payload rating assumes a 150lb driver. If it doesn't have the payload, take the GVWR then subtract the weight of the truck, and then the items I mentioned before. If you have a positive number you are good. If you have a negative number, you may still be good because you used estimated numbers, you may want to get actual weights from a scale.

If you want to get specifics, check these out:

Choosing the Right Tow Vehicle
RV Camping & RV Lifestyle - Changin' Gears (at the bottom check out Travel Trailer Weight Calculator)
Old 03-30-2013, 09:15 AM
The Silent Service

Here's my source:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...trp17Jan06.pdf

You've got 12.5K on the hitch (not recommended on this load) and 15.4K on a GN or 5th. GCWR on your truck is 23K.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
Here's my source:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...trp17Jan06.pdf

You've got 12.5K on the hitch (not recommended on this load) and 15.4K on a GN or 5th. GCWR on your truck is 23K.
That is why you can't go strictly from a tow rating. It is impossible to load up the truck with the wife and kids and the goodies and think you can tow a 15400lbs trailer without exceeding the ratings. When towing, your most limiting rating is payload...
Old 03-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Luckily my trailer is only 10k loaded give or take. Probably another 6 hundred in truck.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:09 PM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
That is why you can't go strictly from a tow rating. It is impossible to load up the truck with the wife and kids and the goodies and think you can tow a 15400lbs trailer without exceeding the ratings. When towing, your most limiting rating is payload...
Partially true,

When I look at loading any truck and trailer safely, its the tire ratings (which shouldn't be your limiting factor), followed by the Axle ratings individually. Payload is normally based off the weight of the truck, compared to the axle ratings.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
Partially true,

When I look at loading any truck and trailer safely, its the tire ratings (which shouldn't be your limiting factor), followed by the Axle ratings individually. Payload is normally based off the weight of the truck, compared to the axle ratings.
Payload is the GVWR minus the weight of the truck with a credit for a 150lb driver. In theory, a 10000lb conventional trailer could weigh as much as 1500lb on the hitch, which 1. could exceed the hitch rating (a 12k hitch is rated for 1200lbs hitch weight) and/or 2. depending on your truck and the additional cargo within, put you near your payload/GVWR rating. When bumper towing, the weight on the hitch is a significant variable as to whether the trailer is level, nose high or nose low... Especially if your tanks are located near the rear of the trailer (i.e. aft of the axle(s)) and are not empty.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Man, they sure dont make it simple do they?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.