Need advice on which truck/motor for daily towing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 07:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need advice on which truck/motor for daily towing

Hows it going guys? I'm looking to haul cars from jersey to long island daily using a 2 car trailer. I was in the market for the 7.3 as I hear nothing but great things but a decent 7.3 is hard to come by. However, the 6.0 trucks are EVERYWHERE. I have read a few big issues with the 6.0 and really has me wonder if I should just go 7.3. EGR system issues leading to overheating. Also something about the oil pump? Is the issues THAT common? Is the 6.0 more fuel efficient? More power as well? Any info would be greatly appreciated as I barley have time to really investigate working so much. Help me out guys! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Uh, you NOT going to make any money hauling a 2 car trailer up in that area, unless you're on a dedicated run paying really good. Besides, you won't have to worry about milage or power, you spend most of your day SITTING in traffic.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:52 PM

Do we have a sticky that deals with this type of question cause wow I see it over and over.
Cobrajay Im not bustin your chops I know your just lookin for info but what you are asking is not a quick answered question. so here you go Ill try and help all of this is just my opinon and very easily could be argued away....
The 7.3 was a great motor in its time. Had plenty of time for Ford to work out the bugs. Is the 6.0 better....IMO yes the 6.0 when healty is the better truck motor. When healthy. Will a 6.0 take being abused and neglected like the 7.3? No not at all. You must learn to watch this motor and learn it speech. Is the 6.0 more fuel efficent? Not 100% sure but I beleive it was.Can the stock 6.0 out pull the stock 7.3 yes. And most important can a 6.0 be made reliable. Yes, with $ and time the 6.0 can stand side by side with the 7.3.
As I said this is just my opinon.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Stardriver- I have 2 friends currently making 2 trips to jersey from Long Island daily. After toles and gas they both walk away with $800 cash in their pocket. There is soooooo much work due to Sandy. LI is flooded with.. Flood cars lol.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Kinnosoj- thanks for taking the time to co tribute to my question. I found a video shortly after I posted that breaks down the pros and cons on both the 7.3 and the 6.0. They both seem like great motors in their own way but I'm now convicted to stay free and clear of the 6.0. I'm going with a Duramax now. Read and hear nothing but great things. A few MINOR issues with a couple years but nothing like the 6.0. This has nothing to do with being a ford or Chevy guy but I need reliability and I don't need a little stress and worries of a 6.0. I'm a ford guy at heart but for this I need to lean more towards the reviews on both trucks.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrajay View Post
Stardriver- I have 2 friends currently making 2 trips to jersey from Long Island daily. After toles and gas they both walk away with $800 cash in their pocket. There is soooooo much work due to Sandy. LI is flooded with.. Flood cars lol.
Go have all the fun you want with flood cars. But take into account insurance, DOT authority, license, maintanence, etc. That will eat that $800 up pretty quick.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrajay View Post
Kinnosoj- thanks for taking the time to co tribute to my question. I found a video shortly after I posted that breaks down the pros and cons on both the 7.3 and the 6.0. They both seem like great motors in their own way but I'm now convicted to stay free and clear of the 6.0. I'm going with a Duramax now. Read and hear nothing but great things. A few MINOR issues with a couple years but nothing like the 6.0. This has nothing to do with being a ford or Chevy guy but I need reliability and I don't need a little stress and worries of a 6.0. I'm a ford guy at heart but for this I need to lean more towards the reviews on both trucks.

Make sure you get the right motor, one of them likes to eat injectors, go ask the guys on www.autoexpediator.com about that.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok smart ***, how about you be more productive with your comments. Give me tips and advice then since your ego reflects so much confidence and bashes the work I THINK is good. Lets here "business pro" I'm a rookie here so I'm all ears.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
How was he being a smarta$$? He simply told you to watch which duraturd you choose to own. They have had MANY MANY problems with eating injectors, overheating and other problems as well. No one brand truck is better than the rest as they all have their flaws. Pick your poison and choose what you would rather spend your money repairing. E.g; Chebby duraturds: injectors and over heating problems not to mention the front axle problems and allison problems they had from owners abusing them, Dodge Cummins: Great motor but is wrapped with a chitty truck, you cannot keep transmissions in them or ball joints let alone keep the body from rusting out, and Ford's you could get the old reliable dinosaur of a 7.3 and have body rot problems or get a 6.0 that was bulletproofed already and hopefully not have any head aches later on but that is not a guarantee. The 6.0 isn't a perfect engine but the trans and the rest of the truck is stout as a brick chit house. If one was to get a 6.0 as already stated it takes a meticulous owner to have one and keep it reliable. Remember that ALL of these trucks are used therefore there is NO warranty or guarantee that they will last you forever without any headaches. If you want no headaches go new but even then it's not guaranteed.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

"Go have fun with all your flood cars"? Smart a$$ comment to me. Keep it simple. I'm here asking you guys THE ONES WITH EXPERIENCE. Just on here looking for guidance. 6.0 sounds very advanced and powerful but won't have the longevity I'm looking for. I understand every truck has its issues. I'm just not willing to spend twice as much to fix a 6.0 then any other motor. Labor costs are higher due to the complexity of the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.