SRW or DRW??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy SRW or DRW???

Hi guys,
New to forum here and appreciate any/all input. I currently have '01 7.3l f350 crew longbed 4x4 with SRW, 675k mi., with significant rust/rot issues. Unfortunately injectors not working w/ cold weather, need replacing @ +/- $2k. With that in mind, I was considering a DRW that is for sale locally at a very reasonable price as a replacement. It is also an '01, 7.3l f350 crew longbed 4x4, with 250k mi, but extremely clean body and frame for age.

I have recently begun using my SRW with a 14K trailer for transporting my 8k lb skid steer to sites, harvesting hardwood logs, and taking down old barns to reclaim the lumber off-road in the mountains of WV. The SRW has performed great both on-road and off-road for these tasks even with muddy conditions back woods. I know the DRW would provide even better road hauling performance, but I am concerned how it would do in muddy off-road conditions??? I have never had DRW and could use all the informed opinions you can offer on this application. The last thing I want to do is go from the frying pan of my current engine issues to the fire of trying to use a DRW for the wrong application.

Sorry the post is long, but I wanted you to have whole picture. Also, if this is not the right place for this post, please tell which forum would be more applicable.

Thanks in advance for your advice, greatly appreciate it,
Brian A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

In my experience, I wanted duals up front and singles in back
The reason for that is that my front is heavy. Stock tires too, so not very wide. Lots of weight, and not a lot of tire surface area equals more PSI on tires touching ground, and easier to sink.
In the back, it's dead opposite. Lightweight, lots of tire. So it didn't sink, but floated on the mud almost and couldn't really grab anything with the tires.
However, if I had plenty of weight on the rear, I think I'd be ok. Haven't tested it yet. I think that weight BEHIND the rear axle would even be better. You'd take weight off the front and transfer that to the rear, in addition to the extra you added.

I'm also using Hankook Dynapro ATm's. Fairly aggressive, just not "mud" tires. That might help too.

Last edited by jesilvas; 02-25-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:18 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Re: SRW or DRW???

I have never owned a DRW but I know a lot of guys that do. They all have the same opinion as him^^^^. Without any weight on the rearend they will get stuck on wet grass on any slight incline. If you put some weight back there it will do better. Some Toyo M/T's or similar may help.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using AutoGuide App
Old 02-25-2013, 04:19 PM

675k miles... Nice.

I don't think it would be a problem. You might want to have a little more aggressive tire, at least a good A/T.

I've been in a situation where my DRW did better than a SRW would have. Grass was a little soft. I had ~3k pounds of brick in the bed. I'm positive a SRW would have broke through the grass. Sure I left some decent tracks in the lawn, but I didn't break through.

If you get a DRW and don't like how it does, I'm sure you could find someone who would trade parts to change it out to SRW.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:01 PM

Yeah I'd go with a DRW
Old 02-25-2013, 07:02 PM

could get a SRW and put larger tires/wheels on it
Old 02-26-2013, 07:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks so much for the input you guys. if i were to take advantage of buying this DRW for the great shape of motor, trans, body & frame, what would the rough costs be to convert it over to SRW? The rear in my current SRW is fairly newer replacement from a donor, so would this changeover be somewhat of a direct mechanical swap out or rears with not much else involved, or does it become a major and costly project?
Old 02-26-2013, 09:37 AM

Why not just keep it a DRW?
Old 02-26-2013, 09:47 AM

Re: SRW or DRW???

Not positive but i would think the dually has different gearing typicly 4.30,4.33. So ud need to swap diffentials to use 4wd.

Sent from my C771 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 02-26-2013, 02:38 PM

F350 dually's are usually 4.10s. Idk if they made them in 4.33 or not.
F350 SRW could be 4.10 also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.