Need some pro help with regulations here. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need some pro help with regulations here.

Ok here is the deal. My current employer manufactures um lets call them ovens. We ship all over the country and internationally but about 70% of them are in the continental US.

Each unit weighs right a round 18k lbs. They are 20ft long by 6 ft wide, at 7ft tall.

By my math with my truck, trailer, and the unit I would come in at around 30-32k approximately. I have my Class A with airbrakes because at one time I was going to take over on of my brothers full size trucks but long story short thats not happening.

Is there any way I can legally run at 32k lbs? I do believe thats above the gvwr of my 2006. I know I can do it in state no problem but I have no idea what the laws are on GVWR in other states. I'm way beyond stupid on hot shot style trucking laws. You guys can call me dumb if you'd like!

I have pulled this kind of weight with the truck before, hay bales, equipment, stuff like that but not commercially so it seems to me that the law is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think your weight is a little low. I'll explain... Truck is rated for 10-14k. Trailer 25k+. That's 35-39k. That's on the low side, a 30' PJ dual tandem (25k GVWR) is a little over 7k. That leaves just under 18k for the load. If your truck weights 9k (yes, it may be a little over but you need tools, chains, tires, full tank of fuel, what ever else/people you have with you...) At the very least, you're looking at 34k+ actual weight. You need to be registered for at the very least the truck GVWR + trailer GVWR... somewhere around my 35-39k. And again, with an 18k load, you would be OVER the trailers GVWR by 100+ pounds. Don't forget about snow/ice weight that collects if you drive through snow. Not saying it can't be done, but that is a LOT of weight. I would be worried about stopping it quick. We're talking about weights almost double what Ford rated the truck for...

You should be able to change the GVCWR. Don't forget about the proper insurance, apportioned plates and IFTA. Maybe someone else can help here. I have an idea of the legal stuff, but I don't want to give you wrong information.

Before you get too far into this, is your truck a DRW or SRW? I would not want to be running that heavy with a SRW truck, not to mention I assume you would be over the RAWR, and tire ratings.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:47 PM

That's WAY to much weight to be running constantly, plus, you DON'T have the brakes for it. If you're serious about it, buy a single axle semi tractor, it will last longer, you'll have better brakes and get as good, or better fuel milage as you would with the loaded pickup.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDriver View Post
That's WAY to much weight to be running constantly, plus, you DON'T have the brakes for it. If you're serious about it, buy a single axle semi tractor, it will last longer, you'll have better brakes and get as good, or better fuel milage as you would with the loaded pickup.
Thats what I have on my mind. I don't have the capital at the moment but I may be forced to finance a true medium duty or larger truck.

My f350 is a SRW I have a dually rear for it but even still the brakes won't be sufficient as you guys said doing the math I think it's going to cost me more than I would profit on wear on the truck and the chance of killing me or someone else.

Would an F650 be sufficient for this kind of constant haul? Or go bigger?
Old 02-11-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowmace View Post
Thats what I have on my mind. I don't have the capital at the moment but I may be forced to finance a true medium duty or larger truck.

My f350 is a SRW I have a dually rear for it but even still the brakes won't be sufficient as you guys said doing the math I think it's going to cost me more than I would profit on wear on the truck and the chance of killing me or someone else.

F-650s (at least the older ones) are 26k GVWR IIRC. F-750s are 33k. Looks like they are rated for up to 60k combined.

On a similar idea, other than brakes... I'm sure a Cat (maybe Cummins) would hold up a lot better at 35k+ pounds than a 6.0. I'm NOT saying the 6.0 isn't a good motor. I'm saying I think there are better options for those weights.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Premium Member

Well I didn't realise that you can't buy an f650/f750 with the cat anymore they all come with the 6.7 cummins so thats right out the window.

I'm looking at the international M2 106 now. Looks like they start around 100k but there are a few decent used ones around for under 80k. I think I'll be checking some out when I get home from the northeast on friday.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:

I like F-650s, but they aren't the best for power and their milage is a bad as a loaded semi tractor. Look around, you can find decent semi tractors in the $15-$20K range. I you look hard you can find cab overs for under $10K. Plus if you move to the bigger truck,you'll have a sleeper, which will come in handy and save you money.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Well I didn't realise that you can't buy an f650/f750 with the cat anymore they all come with the 6.7 cummins so thats right out the window.

I'm looking at the international M2 106 now. Looks like they start around 100k but there are a few decent used ones around for under 80k. I think I'll be checking some out when I get home from the northeast on friday.
You can buy a hell of a used semi tractor for that price, $80-100K instead of those medium duty trucks like that. And DO NOT get one with the Mercedes engine in it. Be aware, if you travel to CA, make sure whatever you buy is legal to go out there.......
Old 02-12-2013, 04:00 PM

Maybe see if your company would help set you up to do this?
Old 02-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Maybe see if your company would help set you up to do this?
No go on that one, I'll be an independent contractor on this one. Basically I work my regular job until we have a unit to ship and then I hotshot it to the customer on my own time for a negotiated price. This will be a very long time deal with no definite end date so it should last a good while to cover my costs.

I really don't want to go to a full size semi sized truck. I was thinking the costs to operate will be higher with a full size truck than a medium duty rig. The other reason I was going to go medium duty is because I'm a big redneck and I will drive it even when I'm not towing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.