Questions about Towing weight, size, and what the truck can handle. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Questions about Towing weight, size, and what the truck can handle.

Hey Family, Sorry i have not been around in a while. Life got the better of me. Got some new toys so ive been hanging out in the Kawasaki and Raptor forms and i havent had time or money to put into the PSD. But.... now me and Mama are talking about a Toy hauler and i have questions. I Know Ford Says i can tow 12,500lbs with tow behind and 12,800 fifth wheel. My Baby is a 2002 4x4 crew cab Long Bed. I'm interested in knowing what people like more. my debate is losing the Bed space. I have 3 full size ATV's. (for those who are asking they are Honda 400EX, Kawasaki KFX 700, and Yamaha Raptor, all stock... right now) So i know if i get a 5ther i'm going to lose my bed for another atv. so that is a concern, also i have heard that pulling behind is not as smooth or easy as the 5ther. Now i have towed a 5ther before with my uncles Old F450 with the 460, and i liked it a lot. I'm also intrested in hearing form Toy hauler owners, what you bought, why you went with what you went with. I'm looking for a 25 to 30 foot 5th wheel and maybe a 20 to 25 foot tow behind. also what else would you recommend for the rig to tow in the 10000lb range. Any info would be very helpful. There also might be a RZR or a 4th ATV in the future so i need to keep that in mind too. RIght now i have a Little single axle 10 foot flat bed that i tow the atvs with and i almost cant tell its behind me unless were going up a hill. Thanks for the help.

Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

not an expert with toyhaulers but i would just buy a big enough one to put your toys in there and get the fifth wheel. reasons ease of manuverablity, rides smoother going down road, better load displacement on pickup. ohter things you need for tow rig quality brake controller and air bags would make it nice but no necessary. i've never had bags on my pickups but always wanted a set and will be getting some for my tow rig in the future. other wised your mods look good for tow rig
Old 01-27-2013, 11:53 AM

If you want to stay 10k lb and below, you're not going to get a big fifth wheel, much less a toy hauler. You'd be more in the range of a bumper pull.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yeah i kinda figured that, i just want to stay legal, i know i cant go giant toy hauler but i think i can get into a 30 foot or below 5ther and still stay within 12,500lbs
Old 01-28-2013, 01:31 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've had 4 bumper pull trailers and two fifth wheels. The fifth wheels tow better on the freeway. I used friction and sway hitches on the bumper pulls . Look at the equalizer hitch, best sway control inder $1k. Having the truck bed is so nice. Every garage model I've had wont fit all the toys so I stay clear, but they are nice. Look at load capability of trailer. Higher quality handles more weight. Three axles better than two, eight lugs better than six. If you get a two axle trailer, look for 8 lugs versus 6. 6 lugs equal 6k axles 8 lug equals 7k axles. Also water and drain tanks, the bigger the better.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yeah were looking at pull thru 5ther's with no pop outs. looks like i can get into a fun runner 32' but they only come with 60 gal water, and i want at least 100 gal. Looked at come of Forest Rivers last night on their website, i think i can get into a sand storm stealth or wolf pack. Its just hard finding one under 35 feet.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:43 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Forest river good quality, wolf pack and fun runner tie for lowest quality on the business, but doesn't mean they don't fit the bill. Sometimes you don't need the extra quality. On my 5th toyhauler and can't say enough about weekend warrior. Quality for the price. Raptor 3018 great bumper pull that can haul weight, spendy though. Raptors good but all garage models
Old 01-29-2013, 07:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yeah i'm trying to stay away from garage models. if i only had 2 atvs i would consider it but i have 3. If i have to get a bumper pull then i will. I was looking at Attitudes last night and they are much lighter then the forest rivers but they can't haul as much weight. Its tough finding the right one. I may just go with a used weekend warrior if i can find one not priced super high.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.