New Trailer - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Trailer

Hey guys I have a trailer that I found that I would eventually like to get to use to haul my old truck, a tractor, and other equipment or pallets of material for personal use. I am pretty sure I am safe on the legal side for a regular driver's license.
It is a Lone Wolf 20ft gooseneck 5 ton trailer. I would be using the F250 in my sig and anything I would need to pull wouldn't be overweight by a long shot. Just want to make sure of the trailer itself being legal to pull empty or not. Im assuming 5 ton means thats what the trailer can weigh (cargo+trailer). That should be plenty for what I need. I am in Alabama so if any guys can chime in on laws that would be great. Pics are not cooperating but here is the address to the trailer website. Thanks guys.

LONE WOLF Equipment Trailer for sale in Scottsboro, Alabama - EquipmentTraderOnline.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 04:56 PM

Not sure about exact laws but here in Oregon most anything flies until you put a mini excavator on a trailer like that and then you raise a big red flag. As long as you can prove that the tractor and materials are not for commercial use you should be fine if its under 20,000 combined weight. I run farm plates on my pickup and pull 25 foot tandem axle goosenecks quite often and never have a problem.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Serving Our Country!

Yea thats what I was thinking. My father in law runs a plumbing business and has a bumper pull plated for 12k and he has to have a CDL to pull it here. I don't need to pull 12k the most I would load up is 8-10k. Its interesting to see how the laws vary state to state. Too bad they can't come up with a system that's nation wide. Thanks for the reply. Now I could always put farm plates on it since my dad has a small 33 acre farm and im sure we will need one for that one way or another to haul hay for horses, tractors, equipment, etc
Old 01-05-2013, 05:15 PM
Serving Our Country!

Other thing is I know I can just get a bumper pull equipment trailer but for the same price why not get a gooseneck that is so much smoother and easier on the truck
Old 01-05-2013, 07:43 PM
Serving Our Country!

Here's what I figured out: I can pull a trailer rated for over 10k as long as I don't use a vehicle that has a GVWR over 26k to pull the same trailer.
For example I could use my truck to pull a 12k rated trailer but I would need a Class A to use lets say an F650 to pull the same trailer.
My father in law was using an F800 to pull the 12k rated trailer (im assuming an F800 is over 26k GVWR) so the 10k rule applies and the CDL is needed
If I had used a super duty that can bumper pull, gooseneck, or 5th wheel pull 12k I would not need the CDL because the super duty's GVWR is under 26001
Sound correct guys????

Last edited by USMC2001PSD7.3; 01-05-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC2001PSD7.3 View Post
Here's what I figured out: I can pull a trailer rated for over 10k as long as I don't use a vehicle that has a GVWR over 26k to pull the same trailer.
For example I could use my truck to pull a 12k rated trailer but I would need a Class A to use lets say an F650 to pull the same trailer.
My father in law was using an F800 to pull the 12k rated trailer (im assuming an F800 is over 26k GVWR) so the 10k rule applies and the CDL is needed
If I had used a super duty that can bumper pull, gooseneck, or 5th wheel pull 12k I would not need the CDL because the super duty's GVWR is under 26001
Sound correct guys????
That is how my neighbor explained it to me here in NC. If you have a dump truck or something you can't even hook a lawn mower trailer to it without a class A.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Serving Our Country!

Ok that would make sense and I have been talking to some guys about the same stuff. The laws are just written funny so I think it scares a lot of guys away from what they could actually use because of the way its worded. I looked at some of the specs of the F800 that my father in law uses and they have one thats a 26k gvwr which you could drive without a class a and another thats a 35k gvwr. His is a pump truck so more than likely its a higher class. Thanks for the input guys! Nice truck SixOH love ext cab long beds
Old 01-06-2013, 03:59 PM

Thanks man! I think class B is all you need to drive over 26k gross without a trailer IIRC.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Serving Our Country!

Yea sometimes I wish I had a long bed especially with a toolbox. Yep thats what AL class B said on the dmv website! Well looks like as long as were right I will probably get a 12k rated gooseneck 20-25ft and plate it for 11k since I have a F250. But we all know how much more we can actually pull. Not sure how much it weighed but I'm sure I pulled at least 8 or 9k when I got my old 6.9 on the bumper pull for right about 500 miles
Old 01-06-2013, 07:38 PM

It looks like your on the right track!
One question though, what tractor do you plan on hauling?
I'm betting you know this but I'll say it anyway, Remember when they say 5ton or 6 ton they mean GVWR which is not cargo capacity. GVWR = trailer weight + max cargo. I need to haul an 1960's oliver 1850 which is a 2wd 82 pto HP trike cabless tractor, and from what I have read they can weigh from about 8.5K to 10K..... So I'm shooting for a 14K or 16K trailer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.