RV people, Towing, and GVWR, They are killing me - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 11:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
RV people, Towing, and GVWR, They are killing me

I am on a couple of different RV forums. I enjoy our TH and using it as much as possible. But when it comes to a Tow Vehicle and the GVWR these RV'ers kill me.

First off, the discussions about buying a TV. You have three choices, Dodge, Ford, and GM. They will all do the job perfectly fine. But to tell me that you want to drive X brand because it is more powerful then the Other brand. What a Crock of CHIT. I mean really, they all basically make 800ftlbs at the crank. How many of these yahoo's test drive a new truck with 15klb behind them. How do they know that .5 of sec faster is going to be that important while getting onto the highway?

There are a handful of other petty ideas on what makes a better TV then the next.

Just be honest with yourself. Buy what you just plain ole like. Buy a GM if you think it is prettier and the better built pickup. I dont care. But dont tell me you need 15ftlbs more of torque so that is why to bought whatever brand.

Then there is the GVWR and GCWR ratings topics. It is hard to sit there a swallow the chit that is said. Some guys actually spout out stuff like "You shouldn't tow to the Max GCWR that is set by the Manufacturer, you should always stay 1,000lbs below that or you need a bigger TV"

Dont even mention towing over the manufacturers limits. Goodness you might as well drive drunk as that is how some of these fellows think. These truck can handle more then what is set by the manufacturer. But there are items you should never exceed, like the weight rating on a tire. But guys on these forums will get flamed if the TV is rated to tow 18,000lbs and the trailer/load they are towing is 18,500lbs.

I come from a small farm community. It was common to have a GCWR of 30k with a 1 Ton. A 40ft float loaded with hay is pretty heavy and pretty common. We use to haul grain with a old chevy dually. The 24ft gooseneck loaded with rice, corn, or milo could exceed 30klb GCWR without a problem.

But RV'ers are in a different world of their own I suppose. Never towed a day in their life until they bought that first RV. Then they become professionals with more experience then most hot shoters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2012, 06:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

But you have to compare country to interstate towing. Country has basically no DOT/DPS officers that will check your weights and fine you for it. On back roads you're basically endangering yourself, and workers around you. On the interstate it's a whole other story.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It only takes a brief error to cause a deadly accident. If the investigation turns up you exceeded mfgr specs, I assume that could potentially open you up to a lot of liability or criminal charges in the hands of a DA with something to prove.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsuelaw View Post
It only takes a brief error to cause a deadly accident. If the investigation turns up you exceeded mfgr specs, I assume that could potentially open you up to a lot of liability or criminal charges in the hands of a DA with something to prove.
^^^^^ THIS!!!!!

Just because you can pull it doesn't mean you can STOP it.

Run into me with an over weight truck and you get to buy me a new truck, trailer and you also get to buy whatever is in my trailer.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the problem is there turning all these trucks into hot rods.i have a 72 ss chevelle.thats a hot rod. my 99 7.3 well thats a worker .pulls my 7500 # TT NO PROBLEM AT ALL..
Old 12-22-2012, 09:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have found in most forums you have to take what you read with a grain of salt. There are a lot of morons on this planet, and they know how to use computers too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.