Prepping the truck for pulling a gooseneck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 06:59 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Prepping the truck for pulling a gooseneck

So I want to get a gooseneck to start pulling my girlfriends two horse gooseneck to keep the stress of her ram 1500. I want a fairly cheap setup since I have other plans for the truck as well. What hitch should I get? My other truck had a turnover type with no rails, just the ball and 2 hooks for the chains. Not sure what brand as it came with the truck.
I also wanted to get airbags for the springs to keep the truck level. If I go that road can I just use the airbags as a full time rear level when not loaded? Would save me money adding blocks as I want to upgrade these crappy shocks to bilsteins and need an extra 2 inches of height for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 06:49 PM

I have the b&w hitch and supersprings. It works great! I think the hitch is around 350-400 installed and springs around 250-300 installed.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbybc12 View Post
So I want to get a gooseneck to start pulling my girlfriends two horse gooseneck to keep the stress of her ram 1500. I want a fairly cheap setup since I have other plans for the truck as well. What hitch should I get? My other truck had a turnover type with no rails, just the ball and 2 hooks for the chains. Not sure what brand as it came with the truck.
I also wanted to get airbags for the springs to keep the truck level. If I go that road can I just use the airbags as a full time rear level when not loaded? Would save me money adding blocks as I want to upgrade these crappy shocks to bilsteins and need an extra 2 inches of height for them.
So u want to get a gooseneck to tow your girlfriends 2 horse gooseneck....interesting...
Old 09-09-2012, 05:12 AM

Also have b&w they work great. And air bags are right around 300 and can install yourself, they helped me level my 06 back out pretty easy when i pulled 35 ft fifth wheel.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 09-26-2012, 09:48 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to upd103 Send a message via Skype™ to upd103
Quote:
What kind of horse trailer are you talking here? Are you talking a living quarters gooseneck or just a 2 horse straight or slant with a tack room up front? Even a living quarter with about a 10 foot short wall wont make your truck squat too much. If she's pulling it with a half ton Dodge right now, I'm guessing you wont hardly notice it behind your 2012.

Quote:
I also wanted to get airbags for the springs to keep the truck level. If I go that road can I just use the airbags as a full time rear level when not loaded?
I wouldn't suggest using your airbags inflated at all times even when unloaded just to add height to the rear. If I'm not understanding you properly, let me know. To add that much height with the bags, you're going to see serious ride quality problems.

Quote:
Would save me money adding blocks as I want to upgrade these crappy shocks to bilsteins and need an extra 2 inches of height for them.
As for 2 inches of blocks....... I suggest looking at your 1-ton and see how it is right now. They may have changed it in the new ones, but in my 08, the 1-tons already have factory blocks. Stacking blocks is not a real good idea especially if you are planning on towing often.

When you do put bags on it and start towing, look at something like this as well. They are longer bump stops for your factory overload spring. By leveling the truck out with the bags, you are not using your overload springs as much. By using these bump stops, your overload springs will also help the bags to level out the truck. This will also help on the tipping feeling in sweeping turns.

Vehicle Suspension for 2012 Ford F-250 and F-350 Super Duty - SuperSprings SSS-1
Old 09-26-2012, 09:38 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by upd103 View Post
What kind of horse trailer are you talking here? Are you talking a living quarters gooseneck or just a 2 horse straight or slant with a tack room up front? Even a living quarter with about a 10 foot short wall wont make your truck squat too much. If she's pulling it with a half ton Dodge right now, I'm guessing you wont hardly notice it behind your 2012.

I wouldn't suggest using your airbags inflated at all times even when unloaded just to add height to the rear. If I'm not understanding you properly, let me know. To add that much height with the bags, you're going to see serious ride quality problems.

As for 2 inches of blocks....... I suggest looking at your 1-ton and see how it is right now. They may have changed it in the new ones, but in my 08, the 1-tons already have factory blocks. Stacking blocks is not a real good idea especially if you are planning on towing often.

When you do put bags on it and start towing, look at something like this as well. They are longer bump stops for your factory overload spring. By leveling the truck out with the bags, you are not using your overload springs as much. By using these bump stops, your overload springs will also help the bags to level out the truck. This will also help on the tipping feeling in sweeping turns.

Vehicle Suspension for 2012 Ford F-250 and F-350 Super Duty - SuperSprings SSS-1
Thanks for your insight! It's only a two horse trailer with a small tack room up front and it only gets pulled with one horse. I'll probably keep the suspension stock right now, but when I start pulling some bigger trailers I'll upgrade the rear. I see what you mean about the air bags just to add height being a bad ride. Suspensions aren't exactly my thing so I'll have to claim ignorance on that, I'm more of an engine guy. I really appreciate the words of advice!
Old 09-30-2012, 05:18 PM

I love my B&W, its the only way to go.

And I agree, you probably wont need to add anything to your suspension but if you do Airbags are good (I run a firestone setup, no compressor) but I would check out Timbrens, they look interesting, I would have probably gone that way if I had know about them when I bought my bags.

Post up pics when you can!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I tow a 3 horse trailer all the time even with 3 in it my truck don't drop much at all and when i have only 1 small horse it don't even sit on the helper springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.