gooseneck trailer options? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
gooseneck trailer options?

hey guys so ive a new project/hobby i'm going to be starting soon and will be in need of a trailer and i will want a gooseneck. i am going to be getting a wrangler and building a 4wheeling rig. i don't really know much about trailers and all the options that they have. i will want room for plenty of gear or possible room for 2 vehicles and room for some gear. i talked to a buddy of mine that owns a car carrier business and told me i'll probably not want to go any smaller than a 36'. what do you guys think? what other options so i consider? i will want a winch, and a solid deck such as wood so if i need a good place to work on the rig for what ever reason. also are there any companies that any of you guys suggest that are some what close to va. i am willing to drive to get the right trailer for the right price.

let me know please and if anything that you guys know of that i need to know or consider please tell me.

thanks
jeremy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Chapter Director

so i have been doing some more research and looking around and have another question. which axle configuration would be better for my needs.
- 2 single axles
- 3 single axles
- 2 dual axles
Old 09-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ive been pricing out trailers about the same size. I agree the 36 would be a minimum for 2 vehicles. As far as that being long enough for extra gear; figure out what all you want to carry and go from there. You could also put a deck on top of the gooseneck for more storage. Also try to get a close weight to what youll be towing and that will help you make a decision on axles. Ive heard tri axle trailers are tougher to make tight turns. I normally surf ebay to get different ideas of whats out there, if youre looking for a new trailer the Gator brand appeals to me but i dont have any personal experience.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Chug-a-lug!!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You have to consider that with tandem duals or triple singles you will be in a weight class requiring a CDL. Not sure if you have that or not.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Chapter Director

well been doing more reseach and what not and found to tow 2 jeeps like i plan on i will be good with a min deck of 30' and that will allow for room for space between vehicles and enough angle for straps to secure weight properly. but depending on how much gear i may need a little bigger. i'm most likely gonna go with just a set of single axles but i mean if i come across a trailer with a set of duals for the right price i'd hate to pass it up. as far as the CDL thing, just cause the trailer is rated for a weight that is in a CDL class do i have to have a CDL even if i don't tow that weight?
Old 09-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Chug-a-lug!!!

Yes. They don't go by what it weighs but rather the gross combined weight rating of vehicle and trailer.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yep, it's what you can carry on the trailer not what you are carrying that requires a class A. There are some exceptions for personal use, RV endorsement in CA for trailers 10001-15000lbs, non commercial class A, etc. all states seem to be a bit different. I run a triple axle gooseneck and if I am loaded heavy it can require a few extra trys to get it turned but it's vary stable even with a SRW truck and a crosswind.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchuricht View Post
Yep, it's what you can carry on the trailer not what you are carrying that requires a class A. There are some exceptions for personal use, RV endorsement in CA for trailers 10001-15000lbs, non commercial class A, etc. all states seem to be a bit different. I run a triple axle gooseneck and if I am loaded heavy it can require a few extra trys to get it turned but it's vary stable even with a SRW truck and a crosswind.
I'm glad to hear that, I have a OBS F250 and pull a 38ft triple axle enclosed that I will be pulling 2 cars in and was a little worried about stability.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Chapter Director

Well I talked to a buddy of mine that carries a cdl and sounds like if I stay under 26k rating I'm fine. I found a nice 30ft deck with 7ft upper deck set of dually axles for 5k. But sucks cause I'm not ready to buy yet.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Chug-a-lug!!!

If it has two 10k lb axles, that is 20k plus 10k(ish) of the truck is 30k. Puts you over the 26k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.