F250 Payload and 5'er - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F250 Payload and 5'er

My F250 SD, 4x2 Supercab SRW, with tow package, 10,000 lb GVW package, and 3.31 Elocker has a listed payload of 2878 lbs. I'm thinking this means that the truck weighs 7122 lbs.
So, if I back out a tank of fuel + tank of DEF + weight of self and DW, and weight of toolbox/tools/misc, I come up with a new payload of 2065 lbs.

1. Is my math/thinking right?

2. If we're thinking of a 5'er with 22% pin weight, then the weight of the 5'er hitch (65 lbs?) must also back out. Now I'm down to a loaded trailer weight of 9500 lbs+/-.

Hmm...

Okay, so what am I missing? Or....what can I do to increase payload without compromising truck?

FWIW, 5'er tow rating is 16,400 lbs. Something doesn't add up here.

K

Last edited by Kbota; 08-18-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 01:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would weight the truck anyway to find out actual weight with full fuel/DEF load and go from there.
You're trailer weight math is right though.

Idk why everyone is making a fuss about payload on these new trucks. You have almost the load rating as my truck does, and you have a smaller, lighter weight truck. So if you take my GVWR of 11,200, and I'm just guessing it weight 9k loaded, then I can only haul around a 9k lb trailer also. But do you see these older trucks overloaded all the time, yes. So why the issue with new ones?

Honestly, get a trailer you like and don't worry.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbota View Post
My F250 SD, 4x2 Supercab SRW, with tow package, 10,000 lb GVW package, and 3.31 Elocker has a listed payload of 2878 lbs. I'm thinking this means that the truck weighs 7122 lbs.
So, if I back out a tank of fuel + tank of DEF + weight of self and DW, and weight of toolbox/tools/misc, I come up with a new payload of 2065 lbs.

1. Is my math/thinking right?

2. If we're thinking of a 5'er with 22% pin weight, then the weight of the 5'er hitch (65 lbs?) must also back out. Now I'm down to a loaded trailer weight of 9500 lbs+/-.

Hmm...

Okay, so what am I missing? Or....what can I do to increase payload without compromising truck?

FWIW, 5'er tow rating is 16,400 lbs. Something doesn't add up here.

K
First thing I would do is take the truck to a truck stop and weigh the truck as you normally drive it. This will be the most accurate way to find out. My truck weighed in at 7880 without the 45 extra gallons of fuel I can also carry in my auxiliary tank.

The next thing is to install some Supersprings in the back. This will increase the payload amt. which is what you are looking for. I have Supersprings, rear sway bars (camper package), C-channel welded into the rear frame for my gooseneck hitch (Old School), mounts for my fifth wheel (more stiffness), Energy Suspension sway bar bushings front and rear, and Bilsteins. So, my truck is extremely stiff in the rear and is very stable pulling my gooseneck or bumper pull - this is what you want.

Basically, you can modify your truck to exceed the capacity of even the dually version. However, you will not have the same rear axle and added stability of the extra width.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:42 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you math is correct sir. For towing big fifth wheels and campers you really need a F350 or dually to be within "sticker" numbers. But nobody is checking. You will be fine with an 2011 and a 16k trailer. Just pull her.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:17 PM

My 5er weighs 16,300 dry, add 2 quads, 160 gallons of water, 30 gallons of generator fuel and all the other crap that goes with owning an rv and It comes out to damn heavy! I pull it with a 2006 f250 super cab short bed 4wd. I have added f350 rear springs and blocks as well as airbags. It pulls like a champ. I think you will be fine!

What would I be doing right now if I didn't have an iPhone?
Old 09-15-2012, 05:17 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Actually you're looking at the wrong number. You should be looking at the GCWR gross combined weight which is truck and trailer and not the gross vehicle weight which is truck and payload. Ford's 2012 guide says your truck can tow a 16k 5'er and 14k bumper pull.

2012 Ford Super Duty | View Towing Specifications | Ford.com
Old 09-15-2012, 06:53 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Actually you're looking at the wrong number. You should be looking at the GCWR gross combined weight which is truck and trailer and not the gross vehicle weight which is truck and payload. Ford's 2012 guide says your truck can tow a 16k 5'er and 14k bumper pull.

2012 Ford Super Duty | View Towing Specifications | Ford.com
The OP is implying the trailer will overload his bed weight capacity, not combined GVWR, and he is correct, it probably will. I surpass my "rated" in bed carry capacity every time I hook to my 41.5' toyhauler with car and quads inside. It happens...
Old 09-20-2012, 06:04 PM

I tow a 15K GVW 5th wheel all over with no problem with my F250. The Combine weight is 23500 lbs and its right with the spec of my truck. The F250 cannot carry anything in the box but hook it to a 5th wheel you can tow a house. The truck is so heavy and well build that when my trailer is maxed the truck has 11000 lbs on the axles and the trailer has 12000 lbs on the axles, to me its a perfect balance for safety.

I can only say by experience that towing a 5th wheel is fine until overheating becomes a problem and I feel that our trucks are trailer towing rated by that factor. Truck alone GCW rating is rated by braking and tire capacities. I have read that our rear axles are rated for way more then the tires will carry. Its the springs that are designed for unload soft rides that are not. So I added 2 more spring plies on each side for more comfort and ride quality.

In addition the F350 SRW are rated higher with the same axles and spacers raising the spring travel when loaded in order to keep the drive line within specs, So instead raising my ride I limited the travel of the spings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.