Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Towing some motorcycles, is EGT and Trans all I should watch?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  spinto 
#1 ·
Folks, I will be hauling four harleys on my 16' utility trailer this weekend to sturgis, I figure around 5k between bikes, trailer, and cargo. Is my EGT's and trans temp pretty well what I need to keep my eyes on? I have a CTS so it'll be no sweat, long as I dont break anything else......:tard:

Also, I have a canned X3, can I run the street tune if I keep an eye on the guages, or should I just run the tow tune? Finally, what is the difference between the aggresive and normal tow options on that tuner?

Thanks

#4 ·
towing 4 bikes you dont need to watch anything. After towing heavy over 30k miles with 6.0, I have come to think the most important temp to watch is EOT, then ECT, then EGT. The stock dash heat gauge shows solely ECT and is fairly accurate in regard to warning you against overheat. With a stock or tow tune, EGTs will not be an issue. The tranny in 05-07s has no issue with heat that the earlier models did. I have overheated my 6.0 towing crazy heavy loads in insane heat of NV and AZ, tranny never has issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.