Researching 5th wheel hitch options for my short bed... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 03:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Researching 5th wheel hitch options for my short bed...

I will probably be in the market for a 5th wheel next Spring. I've never had one before so I've never really had to know anything about the hitches themselves before now. My truck is an '05 CCSB 4x4. I was originally leaning towards a B&W Companion setup, but after learning the need for slider hitches, I've kind of let it go.

I definitely want to leave the bed free and clear WITH NO RAILS left behind when don't need the hitch. That being said, I've seen only a couple options:

(A) Reese Elite Slider (uses the elite "Power Puck" underbed mount system)
30144 Reese Elite Series 18K Slider 5th Fifth Wheel RV Hitch 016118106558 | eBay

(B) Reese Elite 18k fixed hitch (uses "Power Puck" system) + Reese Sidewinder adapter

30142 Reese Elite Series 18K 5th Fifth Wheel RV Camper Hitch 016118052114 | eBay

&

SW16K Reese Sidewinder 16K 5th Fifth Wheel RV Camper | eBay

(C) The PullRite SuperGlide hitch (with SuperRail undermount system):

16K SuperGlide Short Bed Truck Hitch (for SuperGlide Short Bed Truck 5th Wheel H 8.16E+11 | eBay

I'm leaning more towards something more automated (options B or C). The only drawback I can see to the SuperGlide hitch is the fact that you'll always have 4 unfinished holes in your bed. The Reese setup offers "pucks" that cover the rough holes. Can anyone offer advice on these options? Are there any better ones? As expensive as these things are, I want to make sure I get the best one for my application when I do go to buy the 5er.

Last edited by Dante04SRT; 07-31-2012 at 03:16 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 05:16 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have an acquaintance that has a Superglide in the bed of his MegaCab Dodge. That thing is sweet. Works great and has never given him a hassle. Not familiar at all with the Reese options. Been contemplating the possibility of the Superglide myself. Good luck with the decision!
-Aaron
Old 08-19-2012, 05:47 PM

If you want an auto slide with no rails, the SuperGlide is really the best.
The Sidewinder is weird. Takes getting used to. Only seen one, and I pinned it so it would "wind" on me since I wasn't use to it.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I also have a friend with a PullRite SuperGlide in his short box Dodge, great hitch. If I owned a short box truck and still had the 5th wheel this is the hitch I would have.
PullRite has a SAFER, STRONGER, BETTER designed hitch for you

Back a few years when I still had the 5th wheel (with a F350 8' box) I had a PullRite 20.5k Super 5th hitch mounted on a set of their removable SuperRails.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Slider Hitch

I may be bias (Because I have a Pullrite Superglide in mint condition for sale.) but I did extensive research before buying it & it really is the ticket to have the hitch AUTOMATICALLY cam-back when you turn. There is no getting out of the truck & releasing the hitch to slide back. (And it is heavy duty & well built!) Even this weekend, I had two guys talking in the campground that we were at, and they BOTH had to replace their back windows in their truck when they turning tight corners & backing up. (With the Pullrite, you just DON'T have to worry about that!) I had it installed in my '09 Chev HD2500, then we traded that in, for a '10 F-450 as my wife wants a larger 5th-wheel. (Larger than our 38'er.) With the new truck & full box, I installed a new hitch. For the one season that I used it, it work flawless. I know you don't want the top surface bed rails, but I would include those & a king-pin catch plate at no cost. If you continue to do research, and do consider the Pullrite, I'd sell the one I have for about or less than 1/2 price. (Just PM me.) Good luck & happy towing!
Old 08-26-2012, 03:42 PM

The Superglide requires the truck to be straight in order to disconnect. The sidewinder does not not. I have a buddy who hated his because of the slop in the hitch. He had one for four years and the neck broke and the hitch and the trailer dropped into the bed and almost tore the tailgate off. Very expensive from install to repair.
If you have a slider you can slide it back when articulating large bumps to prevent the back of the truck from contacting the underside of the trailer
Old 09-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Dont Mess With Texas!

I have an 08 350 CCSB as you can see in the sig, and we are picking up our first 5er next weekend and I went with the B&W Companion hitch. I already have the gooseneck hitch installed to put it in, everyone I talked to said they had maybe used their slider hitch twice in about 4 years of owning. This way I can swap back and forth betweend gooseneck and 5er with ease. All you have to do is be smart and take your time backing up and you should be fine. I have done it in freinds trucks before
Old 09-06-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdCoastStroker View Post
I have an 08 350 CCSB as you can see in the sig, and we are picking up our first 5er next weekend and I went with the B&W Companion hitch. I already have the gooseneck hitch installed to put it in, everyone I talked to said they had maybe used their slider hitch twice in about 4 years of owning. This way I can swap back and forth betweend gooseneck and 5er with ease. All you have to do is be smart and take your time backing up and you should be fine. I have done it in freinds trucks before
I pulled the trigger a couple weeks ago and ordered the B&W Turnover Ball. I installed it this past weekend. The install was a bit more tedious than I had anticipated, but it went fairly smooth.

I'll wait on the Companion until I buy a 5er, but that's definitely the way I'll go. I think the SuperGlide is a good idea and (aside from hitching) have heard no complaints, but honestly, the mounting system was the biggest downside for me. I'm a stickler for the details and I just didn't want four holes in the bed - PLUS - I can't understand why PullRite couldn't have at least made the holes in line with one another?! The fronts are more inward than the rears...??

Anyway, I keep telling myself that all of the tongue trailers I've hauled over the years have never allowed me to turn 90*, why would I NEED this ability with a 5er? All of the other campers and trailers I've used before were 25'-35' long, so I'd have to imagine that they will turn worse than a 35' 5er because of the pivot point, right?

We'll see if I'm right, but at least at this point, I'm content with my decision.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:38 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
just a side note, but why no rails? When mine comes out the rails sit just above the surface of the rest of the bed, and they have tons of holes that I always tie stuff down to using tie down straps. It has been really convenient. Dirt bikes, loads, whatever, its like a load connection system in the middle of the bed. I wouldnt go without rails after having them, I even tie off my dogs to them if they are in the back. work great. All those systems you are looking at are great. i have the manaul slider and it is a pain. Often wont unlock under trailer wieght
Old 09-06-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock15 View Post
just a side note, but why no rails? When mine comes out the rails sit just above the surface of the rest of the bed, and they have tons of holes that I always tie stuff down to using tie down straps. It has been really convenient. Dirt bikes, loads, whatever, its like a load connection system in the middle of the bed. I wouldnt go without rails after having them, I even tie off my dogs to them if they are in the back. work great.
I actually had rails in my bed before I swapped to the new bed. In my case, they were constantly in the way. They were rusty where they'd been scraped, and didn't offer any benefit. I tie the dog and the dirtbikes off to the corner bed hooks. I'm sure they can be beneficial for some, but in my case, I was extremely glad to be rid of the silly things. Just my personal opinion, but rails taking up permanent residence in the bed of a truck is old school nowadays.

Quote:
All those systems you are looking at are great. i have the manaul slider and it is a pain. Often wont unlock under trailer wieght
That being said, since they were already in the bed when I bought the truck, I would have kept them if I didn't HAVE to swap the bed. In my case, my replacement bed didn't have ANY holes, so I was eager to keep it clean. While I may live to regret not having a slider, only time will tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.