Bucking or jerking when towing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 05:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bucking or jerking when towing

I have a 2006 F350 Crew cab long box 4X4 SRW. I do have firestone air bags that due help. But it is still there just not as bad. I have looked at a lot of threads and have not seen any fixes to this. My thoughs are bushings for leaf springs, leaf spring to weak, angle of the drive shaft, or something else. Let's see if we can get this one figured out. My question is has anyone got to the bottom of this?

Last edited by Brian06350; 07-27-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 05:20 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I have no clue what you're trying to describe. What is jecking???
Old 07-27-2012, 06:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

As I said in the title "When Towing". Not light loads. Heavy loads. Like 10,000lbs and more. Some people call it bucking some call it jerking. It is like steping on and off the gas really fast or somthing like that. Seem to be only on the CCLB trucks.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:22 AM

I've heard it called porpoising too. Maybe too much air in the bags. Trailer weight not distributed right, too much tongue weight?

GN/5th wheel or bumper pull trailer? Maybe a weight dist. hitch for a bumper pull
Old 07-27-2012, 06:23 AM

I fixed the title for you
Old 07-27-2012, 06:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My 5th wheel camper weights in at 12,000 lbs fully loaded. Hitch weight is 1520 lbs. If I have 50 lbs in the air bags it is not that bad but it is there. I have tryed less and more. 50 is about the best. Just looking I see if anyone fixed this issue.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i have a 36 ft toy hauler fifth wheel, i tow with my 07 F 350 DRW CCLB truck, having two extra tires does help with the bucking, but still depending on the road surface, some bucking is present. the only solution i know of to fix the "bucking" is a "trail air" type of fifth wheel hitch for the trailer. i dont have a trial air type of hitch, so i just live with a little "bucking" now and then when towing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian06350 View Post
My 5th wheel camper weights in at 12,000 lbs fully loaded. Hitch weight is 1520 lbs. If I have 50 lbs in the air bags it is not that bad but it is there. I have tryed less and more. 50 is about the best. Just looking I see if anyone fixed this issue.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have a 2009 SRW 350 CC and it will do it towing my 14,000 lb Cameo 5 th Wheel. Mostly at slower speeds low gears when really putting the coal to it. The only cure I know of is traction bars. It is caused by axle wrap. If losing traction it is even worse. I pulled my 5ver up my road today , about a 1000 ft climb in 1 and 2nd gear and it did it all the way. Lookin in to Traction bars, these long spring trucks all have this tendency. JF
Old 07-30-2012, 05:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have thought about getting traction bars too. With the springs sitting on top of blocks on the rear axle kinda make this more noticeable. If Ford would have use a leaf springs with more arc in them I don't think this would have been a issue. Anyone towing with traction bar have any axle wrap or bucking or jecking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.