desirable features on gooseneck? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-21-2012, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
desirable features on gooseneck?

ive had a bumper pull trailer for many years and ive Finally decided im going to upgrade and purchase a new gooseneck trailer. Im going to go with pj brand gooseneck between 25 -30ft. What are some desirable features that you wish you had on yours. the little things that would make it nice. Also, is there much difference in the standard or lowboy decks? i was thinking about going with the lowboy, dexter axles. i also like the 2 flip up ramp dove tails. does the 3 ramp dovetail make that big of a difference? should i get electric or hydraulic over electric brakes? well any ideas, opinions, or experiences you could share would be great!

Adam Coleman
West Portsmouth, Ohio
2002 7.3 PSD Extended Cab
10k Mod
Tymar Intake
4" Stainless Bullydog Exhaust
Transtar Transmission Cooler
Scorpian Bedliner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Three ramp is for three wheeled tractors I think. A storage box for all of your straps is nice as well as a winch
post #3 of 12 Old 07-21-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250SixOH View Post
Three ramp is for three wheeled tractors I think. A storage box for all of your straps is nice as well as a winch
Agreed!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC while wasting time at work...

Jake

2002 F250 ECSB 7.3 146,xxx mi
Afe intake
Diamond Eye 4" straight exhaust
305/70R16 Fierce Attitude MT
post #4 of 12 Old 07-21-2012, 08:10 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i like the lowboy just makes the loads more stable.
as many tie downs as you can get.

Matt PAA #117 99.5 F-250 XLT CC SWB 4x4 4R100 Warn M12000 GPR-LED. Foil Delete. 6637. 0.50. AC. Isspro Dual Pyrometer. AeroForce. FRx. HPx. DIY SS Fuel Lines. 03 HeadLights. 4" SS Exhaust. 6.0L Trans Cooler. BTS Tunes. Custom Lighted Tuner. IH Up Pipes. EPBV Delete. AIH delete. Isspro Boost Trans. Van Turbo WW2.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-21-2012, 08:55 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
The brakes are electric over hydraulic, not hydraulic over electric, and I have
electric over hydraulic disk brakes on my 5th wheel RV and I am real pleased with them.
For sure on the tool box, and a two speed landing gear jack. Pay more and get all
LED lights if they offer them. Make sure it has 16 in wheels and E rated tires.
Doug

2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X2 PSD 6.0 TorqShift Automatic Transmission. Upfitter Switchers Chrome Door Handles,
Oxford White with lower part being Arizona Beige Metallic.
Creative Coating Sprayed in bed liner.
20K Reese 5th wheel hitch.
Mods. 4in. Silverline stainless steel exhaust
BD Diesel XMonitor
Bama ZooDad

35 HitchHiker
Is it time to go camping?

EX-USN
Doug
post #6 of 12 Old 07-21-2012, 10:55 PM

Get the widest ramps you can find.

You never know what type of vehicle you might be driving or dragging up onto the trailer. I know I've hauled some loads that would either not be able to make it onto some manufacturer's skinny ramps - or would be too close to falling off with not enough margin for slight movement while loading to be comfortable with.

If they are flip up ramps, make sure you get some type of bars to hold the ramps vertical, if you have too long of a load to fold the ramps back over onto the dovetail section.

102" is the widest you can go, and sometimes you need every bit of that 102"

On my trailer, I had them build a deck over the gooseneck which comes in handy for other straps/gear/another pallet, etc.

If you get Dexter Axles - see if you can have them throw in a handful of the little rubber dust cover/filler plug thingies.

Out of the 4 on my trailer, I seem to be missing 3 already.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-23-2012, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
2 speed jack or drop leg jack. Lots of tie downs. 17.5 rims and tires would be a big plus for me, They last much longer and can hold more.

2008 (Job 1) F250 King ranch 4x4, snow plow prep package with 2.5 level. Black Maxx, B&W Diehard platinums. Dieselsite coolant and transmission filters, NCU Motorsports/amsoil oil bypass kit. Turbo blankets, 5.5 PMF traction
Please collect and message me Shell, Rotella oil cap codes aka "my miles matter" I'm trying to save up for a hat or something.

post #8 of 12 Old 08-02-2012, 06:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

We are an independant Big Tex dealer and we deal with many gooseneck trailers and their features. The lowdeck option is always a plus for heavy loads. Also, look for trailers with torque tubes. Google Image Result for http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/trailers-transportation/179968d1285465809-load-max-rating-pict0697.jpg This will keep the 102" wides from tipping through sharp turns. Big Tex goosenecks 28' and above come standard with torque tubes. Also, if you're looking for a trailer with dual wheels, look for a wet axle. This may also be called an oil bath. This type of lubrication is favored over grease for heavy duty applications. Dual dropleg jacks is also a necessity for the 102" wides with heavy loads. If you're planning on putting more than 10,000lbs on the tralier then look for a two speed jack. As far as brakes go we always recommend electric. The electric over hydraulic do work well but will need to be maintained much more often. Options for our goosenecks include LED lighting, Deck over neck, 5' center pop-up dovetail with 5' fold up ramps, Three ramps with diamond plate on bottoms, Dual 2 speed landing gear and Electric over hydraulic brakes. Here is an ad for a trailer that contains much of these options. Big Tex Trailers 2012 22GN-32'+5 Check out some of our other goosenecks while you're there to get some ideas!
post #9 of 12 Old 08-10-2012, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
i have a big tex 22gn. the things i would get if i did it again. would be 2 speed jacks pop center dove instead of 3 ramps. winch. and deck over the neck. for me i don't have a need for the 3rd ramp that often its just one more ramp to flip everytime. its all what you think you need.

94 F-250 reg cab 4x4 5spd 7.3 stroke. 3inch downpipe, 4 in exhaust. super duty turbo with 1.0 non wastegated exhaust housing ww2 and 360 thrust kit. Intercooler, MB diesel hpop, driven diesel complete efuel, 6637 air filter, kingpin dana 60.

09 F150 Lariat crew cab 5.4L v8

post #10 of 12 Old 08-10-2012, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Definitely a storage box of some sort. Electric brakes. The only time electric over hydraulic is really the best option IMO is on a boat trailer. I bought a used hitch for a van or some truck or something on craigslist and bolted it to my trailer. With that I can slip in any 2" hitch including the one my 12Klb winch is mounted to and a hitch for carrying another trailer on top of your trailer.

1996 F350 4x4 CCLB-- I'll miss her

1996 F350 4X4 RCLB zf5 213K
OBA w/horn
DE 5"
PHP tunes
Mud Country 315/75/16

2008 Wr250X

Quote:
Originally Posted by belz View Post
There u go Tom. John may not be sexy, but he can tutor you, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode