Cross country tow advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 11:13 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cross country tow advice

Ok guys, Im in need of expert advice once again-
Background-
I'm PCSing in 10 days traveling from El Paso, TX to Tampa, FL which is 1740 miles. Due to last minute lack of equipment from uhaul and Penske not letting me put my 2007 Explorer on their trailer, my only option left is to pull it with my F250. I plan on renting the moving truck from Penske and the trailer from Uhaul.

- trailer weight is 1200
- explorer curb weight is 4440 / gross weight 5960
-The truck is currently in the shop for a new turbo and overhaul.
- It's a 2004 F250 CC 4wd with a 4" lift, 35's, and ranch hand bumpers ( rated 1000 tounge/10000lbs max)

.....SO I was wondering
1. Is it even possible to pull it with my truck that distance without the threat of breaking something major ( I know these trucks were made for towing, just not sure on that distance)
2. What recommendations does anyone have as far as making the trip
3. Is a WDH needed as Uhaul says they don't allow them due to interference with the trailers braking system

This will be the first towing I've done with the truck since I bought it last year but I've made several cross country trips pulling cars previously but never in a civilian vehicle/ non moving truck. ANY and ALL advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

you will be fine as far as weight. your pickup should pull that all day everyday without breaking a sweat. as far as no wd hitch i don't see it being an issue thats not a ton of weight like pulling bumper pull camper or something like that would be. just pay attention to what you are doing and should be no problem
Old 07-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
dont think the weight will be a problem and a WD hitch will not work with a uhaul trailer there surge brakes
just check all the oils and filters and keep an eye on the tires and you should not have a problem.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:12 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Egt and trans gauge would be great. But same as the previous replies.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:32 AM
The Silent Service

I pulled a '96 Ranger 4x4 out of VT to VA with my '07. However, I had one of Uhauls 2,200# car haulers (which is also the weight advertised on their website for the car hauler). I would not pull with their 750# car dolly, for a number of reasons. So you're looking at around 6,600# for this setup, verify your hitch can support. And you won't want or need a WDH, with the brakes on those trailers (they work well, just remember to hit the brakes a little hard on the truck to get them to engage).

Now for my advice (I've done a few of these PCS moves with my rig):
1) Do you have a monitor in the truck? If not, its a great idea, not only for this trip but for 6.0L ownership as a whole.
2) Fresh fluids and filters.
3) Have either the stock programming, or a quality tow SCT file loaded on the truck (any other brand of tuner, and I would leave it set on stock).
4) Take your time on the grades, and use your tow/haul feature the whole way it helps with the shift points, and decending the grades.
5) Check everything over when you pick it up (I lost a day going back due to the tire tie down was cut in previous use and didn't make it around the tire), once you have everything loaded, again around 60-80 miles down track, and every time you stop.

These trucks are made to be worked, just don't push them too far. Keep an eye on everything and you'll be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.