1200 mile trip towing two jetskis - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 12:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1200 mile trip towing two jetskis

Hi all- this is my first post on this site so bear with me...

I have an '04 6.0 FX4 (136k miles) with an edge juice with attitude tuner, egr delete, mbrp exhaust, airbags, I just got front and back breaks done (pads + rotors) and have less than 700 mi on new Falken Wild Peak 325/65/18 all terrains (which are bad *** tires btw- way Better than my old nittos)

I am taking a 1200 mile trip towing 2 jetskis (approx 2200lbs incl single axle trailer). I will only my be in the TN mountains for About 150 miles. The rest of the trip will be flat...

My questions are elementary- is there any reason to use the 'towing' setting on the tuner for this trip considering the small amount of weight I am pulling? Should I use the 'mileage' setting or the 'drive' setting when on the flat highway? The trailer is only 1 year old and has 13" wheels and 175/80d tires- how fast can I go and still be safe??

I have a spare for the trailer...is there anything else I should consider ? I've never towed anything more than 200 miles at a time...

I will post details of mileage, etc when I arrive!

Last edited by JoeBuono76; 06-12-2012 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 07:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You won't even know it's there. If you can't see your trailer in your mirrors, add a flag so you can see if it is still there as you drive. As for how fast you can drive, all you can do is slow down if the trailer starts whipping at 75-80, but I really doubt you will have any trouble at all. There is no reason you should need any towing tune for this light a load.

Oh, if you should blow a trailer tire on the freeway, be calm, turn off the cruise and coast to a stop. Do not hit the brakes, or at least be very light and smooth with the application. If you get hard on the brakes to get to the side, the trailer COULD try to pass you and then you have a problem. Make sure you have a lug wrench for the trailer lug nuts.

Last edited by Solid98; 06-12-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Solid! Just trying to cover all the bases!
Old 06-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Even though its a year old I would still check the bearings being a jetski trailer. Been there done that.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:39 PM

Make sure tire pressure on the trailer tires and spare are good.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have bearings with the fitting for the grease gun, so I greased them, but I will jack the trailer and check bearings, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.