must haves/wants - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
must haves/wants

the time is getting closer to us pulling the trigger on a travel trailer. the ones we have been looking at are around 30-35 foot and around 8-10k lbs.
i picked up an OBS f350 srw 2x4 auto with 3.55 gears. suspension is bone stock. and as it stands there is no reciever hitch on the truck.

so ive been searching thru here for a while and have found some good suggestions, but here is my question.

what would yall suggest i should look into. either from a safty stand point, a "this **** is pretty cool" stand point, or "from my expirience you might want/need" stand point.

basically a lot of towing will be local (within an hour or so from home), but there will be some trips from OKC to the Macon GA, south texas, Phoenix Az areas. i got this rig for an awesome deal. id rather dump my money into building what i want, than spending an extra 10k on a newer truck.

so that said:

im sure the gears will be an issue. what is a good all around gear to go with to get a balance of power/mpgs. im guessing a 3.73 at a min, but probobly more around a 4.10? keeping in mind that the truck sits stock, id like to go to a light lift (around the stock height of a 4x4, so tires will get a little larger)

is a air ride system something that will be needed pulling these weights? if not needed is it one of the "nice to haves"

the truck has a trailer brake controller, unknown brand off hand, ill take a look and post up. might need an upgrade?

as far as truck power goes, its stock to the bone. i plan on an intake exhaust a DP tune. possibly some injectors and Hpop at some point. i think this should have plenty of power from what im doing.

any thoughts on tires? something that looks nice but still has a good tow rating?

anything for the interior upgrades? the truck has 265k miles of fat a$$ wearing down my seats. as much as i hate to say it, im looking for some newer chevy cloth seats. we have a work truck thats an 05 2500. feels like im in a recliner.

gauges. fuel presure, trans temp, egt. any point in a boost gauge? or will an egt tell me everything i would see on a boost gauge.?

speaking of trans temps, a trans cooler.... go for a 6.0L cooler or after market?

will an intercooler be worth the investment in the long run?

anyway i know that was a slight ramble, but i know you guys have more honest answers than i can find most anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandy View Post
the time is getting closer to us pulling the trigger on a travel trailer. the ones we have been looking at are around 30-35 foot and around 8-10k lbs.

5th wheel or bumper pull? How many axles?

im sure the gears will be an issue. what is a good all around gear to go with to get a balance of power/mpgs. im guessing a 3.73 at a min, but probobly more around a 4.10? keeping in mind that the truck sits stock, id like to go to a light lift (around the stock height of a 4x4, so tires will get a little larger)

How much taller, in inches, are the tires you want? I have 3.73s with stock size 265-75-16 tires (31.7" tall) and find they are just about right for me. At 60-65 my rpms are around the ideal 2000 rpms and at 70-75 I rarely have to downshift for the hills. anything 60mph and under I leave OD off to not lug the engine. My rig is 27' and 8000 lbs loaded for bear.

is a air ride system something that will be needed pulling these weights? if not needed is it one of the "nice to haves"

Depends on the tongue weight. For a bumper pull I would say mandatory and nice to have for a 5er. A bumper pull will porpoise on you and without the added stability of a DRW will increase the likelyhood of losing control on the highway. A bumper pull will put much more leverage on your trucks suspension than a 5th wheel which is right over your drive axle. A weight distributing hitch with sway control is a really good investment.

the truck has a trailer brake controller, unknown brand off hand, ill take a look and post up. might need an upgrade?

A brake controller isn't really considered an upgrade, what you have will probably work fine unless it is malfunctioning.

as far as truck power goes, its stock to the bone. i plan on an intake exhaust a DP tune. possibly some injectors and Hpop at some point. i think this should have plenty of power from what im doing.

Can't help you there. I've got no experience with OBS.

any thoughts on tires? something that looks nice but still has a good tow rating?

Load range E all the way. Some all terrain or mud tires are pretty squirrely when loaded but match the tires with the rim width. I have Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs on the rear and Silent Armors on the front and am happy with them.

speaking of trans temps, a trans cooler.... go for a 6.0L cooler or after market?

I don't even know if the 6.0 will fit the OBS? Hopefully someone else can answer that one.

will an intercooler be worth the investment in the long run?

Only if you can do it on the cheap. Check the OBS boards.

anyway i know that was a slight ramble, but i know you guys have more honest answers than i can find most anywhere else.
If you are looking at bumper pull trailers, I highly recommend the largest reciever hitch combined with a weight distribution/sway control system. Without an exception every jacknifed RV I have seen was a bumper pull on the back of a SRW vehicle. However you go, just be safe and have fun.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:48 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
4.10s are nice. you may need to think about upgrading tranny parts: TC, VB, upgraded/second cooler.

intake, exhaust and tune will be fine for what you do. you won't need an IC until you add bigger injectors. Gauges are a MUST EGT, Trans Temp, you can get a boost or fuel pressure or a scan gauge if you want, but those two (EGT trans) you need.

air bags are nice, but a WD hitch is much more important.

personally i would leave the truck lower and run 235/85s E tires with slightly aggressive tread on the rear

that's all i can think of
Old 06-13-2012, 09:01 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
6.0 ic will work, just need a DIY set up with e99 spider, or banks kit. You need trans and egt, boost is nice too, another good idea is what terry said, upgrade your trans. And go ahead and do a dually swap, I got an axle off a guy in Wichita falls parting out a couple duallys pretty cheap
Old 03-30-2014, 09:48 PM

Let's bump my old thread.

I fully agree with the gauges. I've got an egt on the way and looking for a digital readout setup like what I believe Kris has for everything else.
My wife and I have been out looking at rv's the last few weeks. I think we have it down to 3 of them. All three are between 39 and 42 feet. Weight is around 11k dry and 15ish maxed. Before I let her get her hart set on any of them is this going to be I the realm of possible(safely possible) with my current set up?

Also is there any real way to tell if my trans has been modded without breaking into it? Guy I bought it from seems to think it has had a lot of work done to her for the intent of towing. I have no idea of the t/c is stock. I do know I had about 1900lbs in the back the other day and she drove/shifted like a whole new rig.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-04-2014, 03:06 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Must haves are a weight distribution hitch like "the equalizer", E rated truck tires, and a good brake controller. Next would be tranny temp gauge, everything else would be "nice to have" category. Surely don't "need" airbags, arguably ever. A combined weight distribution/ anti sway hitch is the "must have", the ones with chains on the tension bars are not anti sway. Check out the equalizer it's the most bang for the buck I've got 10s of 1000s of miles on an equalizer and 100s of 1000s of miles of towing time.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:33 AM

with 39-42" im assuming you're talking about a 5th wheel. Air bugs are a must id say. even a loaded 32" 5'ver will squat your truck pretty good.

a lot of people will tell you you need a dually... but how many ccsb trucks do you see hauling huge *** trailers without problems. I have no problems hauling big 5th wheels with my truck. keep your brakes up to par and the trailer brakes up to par. Moniter the essentials and go from there
Old 04-06-2014, 08:05 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Dually isn't necessary, but if you ever towed with one you wouldn't want to with anything else ever again
Old 04-06-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannnce View Post
with 39-42" im assuming you're talking about a 5th wheel. Air bugs are a must id say. even a loaded 32" 5'ver will squat your truck pretty good.

a lot of people will tell you you need a dually... but how many ccsb trucks do you see hauling huge *** trailers without problems. I have no problems hauling big 5th wheels with my truck. keep your brakes up to par and the trailer brakes up to par. Moniter the essentials and go from there
Yeah it's a 5er. 1900ish hitch weight. I had about 2k in the bed of my truck a couple of weeks ago and she squatted about an inch. Truck had a ball in it and I'd guess she's towed heavy a time or 2. Airbags are on the list either way

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
Dually isn't necessary, but if you ever towed with one you wouldn't want to with anything else ever again
I'd love to do a fat bottom conversion.......until I go thru the bank drive thru. Lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-06-2014, 09:01 PM

x2, hauling with one is in fact heaven, but youll be fine.

351fifty: arent you always looking for dually fenders?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.