using a tow bar - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 11:36 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
using a tow bar

is there any serious precautions to using a tow bar to move a vehicle for a pretty far distance? i gotta move a minivan and couldnt find a trailer to buy and sell quick enough so my option is to just go buy a tow bar and pull it, first couple of questions tho, can i actually flat tow a mini van anyway? just put it in neutral and not worry about it, or do i need to disconnect the front axle's much like when you put a pick up on a dolly and just drop the drive shaft, and would there be much sway at all, i realize i just throw the key in the on position so as to keep the wheel from locking, but tow doally's here cost around $800 and i refuse to pay more than $250 for a terd of a trailer to move a vehicle with.

thanks in advance guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 11:41 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
U-haul. Rent a front wheel dolly.
Or disconnect the drivelines and use your tow bar. Don't tow it with the drive wheels on the ground, still connected to the transmission.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

He said a dolly is too expensive.

But lodie is right when he says DC the drive wheels from the trans. If you go, even in neutral. that just means the engine is not connected to the trans. The trans will still turn up to the neutral clutch and will more than likely overheat it.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:27 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
ok, so i can tow it with the cv's disconnected and it should be fine, i know i see jeeps get flat towed often and some vehicles can do that when put in neutral, atleast the t-case in neutral anyway, but just wanted to know if anyone had insight, thanks again fella's

u-haul wants $600 to rent it and i will have it for like 2 weeks ish, and i could go buy a "decent" full car trailer for about that much, and everyone near me is asking for like 4-500 to buy a tow dolly in a used condition when they cost close to that new, i am looking to spend a couple hundred and i can afford to loose that much, but dont wanna waist 5-600 bones on a one time for me use kinda thing, i have a good 20 foot trailer i am picking up and bringing back, just need to move the minivan while the moving is good
Old 05-31-2012, 06:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

When we install tow bars for ppl with MHs, they usually don't know what they need to do.
4wd jeeps and stuff are easy. TC in N and you're good, but your little Honda in N just might melt one day.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:28 PM

Know any college kids you could pay 100 bucks plus bus fare back home to just drive it in caravan with you as you go? I know if it was near me my son would jump at the chance to make an easy C note driving someone's car a couple hundred miles. Granted I have no idea how far you're planning to travel, just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.