Stock 7.3 Towing EGT's - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 09:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Stock 7.3 Towing EGT's

I did a search for the above and didn't come up with what I was looking for, but I didn't have a lot of time to browse all the threads.

What I really want to know is if these trucks in stock form have an EGT issue towing? I don't know if the stock fuel maps can create EGT issues or not.

I am looking at purchasing a 2000 CCLB Dually 7.3 with the 6-speed manual. It is a one owner truck with 260,000 miles. My biggest concern is that it looks as though the truck was set up to be a hot shot truck. I have of course asked the owner this, but I haven't heard back yet and he may or may not tell the truth. The truck appears stock and I don't see any gauges installed. He could have monitored EGT's on a on of the touchscreen programers and removed it all before selling. From the looks of the pictures the truck was well taken care of. The miles deffinetly look like highway, as the seat hasn't been warn through and the brake pedal doesn't look very worn either. Not like it would be for 260K of stop and go driving. Judging solely on where he lives, I imagine the truck was probably hot shotting in WY, CO, and UT oil/gas fields if that is indeed what he was using it for. Thanks for any insight on this.

Cheers,

Brew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First, there is a rule of thumb for EGTs - Regardless of programming level.

Usually, up to 1250* sustained with bursts over that for a short time (10-15 seconds) before causing problems.

If you're going to be towing (Regardless of programming level) you really need gauges or a monitoring system (like an Edge or equivalent). It's really the only way to know what's happening with the engine.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:24 PM

I was just trying to find out where these trucks run at in stock trim. I understand that is probably subject to how it was driven. Well if anyone has any other insight in to this I would appreciate it. I plan on checking the up pipes and manifolds real well for any signs of missing or replaced studs.

Cheers,

Brew
Old 05-22-2012, 05:46 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
in a 6speed it is more possible to get high egts than an auto but the stock is safe 90% of the time.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:34 AM

When I first installed an EGT gauge on my stock '96, I was surprised how fast and how far the EGTs can go with a 6000 pound travel trailer in the hills. I think it would not be hard to exceed the 1250F level when towing on grades. Thus, I recommend a gauge to watch the EGTs.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
the 99+ come with an intercooler so stock i assume is pretty safe compared to the obs, but stock on my 97 i have seen it hit 13-1400 up a 6% grade with another f250 on a trailer behind me, tuned i have had it wrapped to 1600 with the edge programmer towing the same load on the same hill, and custom tunes highest i've had towing was a 6% grade different hill with an excursion behind me was 1400 for a couple seconds, they cool down quick tho so i get back on it, but i highly recommend a gauge(s) just to make sure
Old 05-23-2012, 09:58 AM

i have a 2000 with a 6spd. and with my 35 foot camper on behind pulling mountian grades with my foot mashed to the floor the highest i saw was in the 900* range, couldnt get it any hotter. thats with a bone stock truck on my glowshift gauge, probe behind the driver side manifold. i dont think you can get them too hot at highway speeds. possibly loaded heavy sitting still somehow but i doubt it.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:40 AM

Not the best comparison but i have a stock 2000 4x4 auto and even though i dont have info with a trailer, i have floored it up a steep long grade. The egt's would hit 900 quickly (2nd gear) and stay there. I guess the only thing that isnt stock is i cut the muffler out and welded in a straight pipe.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:07 PM

Thanks for all the replies. That gives me a little bit better of an idea of what these trucks are doing stock.

Cheers,

Brew
Old 05-30-2012, 09:58 PM

I can hit 1200deg pretty easily in my 2000 F-350/ZF-6 on stock or custom programs on the PHP Phoenix I have. But...that's if I really push it towing our 7800lb RV. If I drive normally, it does fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.