Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Which 5th Wheel Hitch?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  jesilvas 
#1 ·
I just bought a 33' toy hauler and need to drop a hitch in the bed of my pickup. Its an '03 F-250 with the short bed. I won't have any problem pulling it of course, but i'd like to do the install on my own and save some money on the deal. The question is, is it worth getting some custom mounts for the frame, and if so, which ones? I hear installs on the fords are super easy and i'm competent with all the tools that i'd need (drill, punch, socket set, etc...) which makes me wonder if its worth the extra money to get custom mounts vs generic ones. Dad has the generics and they seem to be just fine, just had to drill the frame to mount them...

Im looking at the Curt 16K hitch for the truck. Seems to be one of the less expensive ones and still has a good name behind it. Will not be a slider since I'm not going to be pulling it every day of the week.

So, any input would be great. Custom or not? What's compatible with that hitch? Any other advice?

Thanks so much guys! :respekt:

#2 ·
#3 ·
Found a pretty good deal on a set of Curt custom frame mounts so there's no drilling required (fairly small difference in price after all), the Curt bed rails, and a Curt 16K hitch to drop in all for right at $450. Of course everyone was trying to sell me the sliding hitch but i can't justify $800+ on the low end for something i won't use enough. Trailer goes right about 9K wet with no toys in it so that should hold just fine i think.

Thanks for the response!

#5 ·
Of course everyone was trying to sell me the sliding hitch but i can't justify $800+ on the low end for something i won't use enough.
I remember saying, "I don't need 4 wheel drive to pull my 5er." Sure as **** the first time I took it out we had a one of those "once every 100 year floods" and had to evac the campground. Got pretty hairy by the time the tractors got to our RV.

You may think you don't need a slider in a shortbed but that one time you do it'll more than pay for itself in one trip to the body shop.

#6 ·
lol Fair enough. I do drive truck for a living however, so i should have a pretty decent idea about how to operate a 5th wheel hitch by now... :tard:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.