Auto transport recommendations? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Auto transport recommendations?

Need to ship 2 or 3 cars depending on cost, Vegas to DC. Anybody ever used Uship? Have heard both great and terrible things. Anybody in the auto transport business or have recommendations? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I can't really help you much but can atleast get you pointed in the right direction, take lots of pics and annotate any scratches, dents, whatever, transporters, well some of them, lack experience and are just looking to make a quick $. I would go so far as to even take pics of the trucks after they are loaded and about to leave, granted once the truck is on their trailer it is their responsiblity, but who's to say once they get where they are going that they don't say it was there when they picked it up. get copies of whatever they have you sign. UShip has good and bad drivers, but you'll have that anywhere, i'd read the reviews from other clients of the transporters, they have nothing to hide and the odds of them shipping something again are probably slim. another thing you can't be a transporter on UShip unless you have a DOT# and insurance, I tried to be a transporter and could not do it, as i did not have a DOT#. In short do what you think you need to do to keep your butt in the clear, if you've watched the tv series Shipping wars, that is UShip, the thing i don't get is they have 5 drivers on there, 3 of which have DOT#'s the other 2 do not. Not that I would say a tv series is reality, but it gives you an idea of what goes once your cargo leaves your possession. hope that somewhat helped.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:10 AM
Firefighter Member

Would think your question would get you some buisness through here. I'm sure someone on here is needing some work. Good luck though.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:39 AM
Serving Our Country!

I would but I live in Indiana
Old 05-01-2012, 07:41 AM

I do some work through uShip and its got some good deals and sometimes its frustrating. I spent the money to get legal and you can get yahoos on there who dont have insurance or DOT requirements transporting stuff. I always get out bid by them by atleast 200-400 dollars. I have shipped everything from car parts to porsche, supras etc.

Also, the big carriers take forever to pickup sometimes they come through in a decent time and leave your cars with no damage but from talking to a few clients that have used them arent very happy. I saw a Ferrari parked underneath a old Toyota pickup truck with oil all over the roof and windscreen.

If you do go through uShip, be sure to check the profile of those who you are considering, look for the DOT # and then check it with the DOT lookup. SAFER Web - Company Snapshot

Also you can use uShip Shipping Price Estimator to get a idea of the pricing for whatever your shipping. Usually if you can find a guy with a wedge/3 car transport you can get a better deal.

Good Luck!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:51 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
i was planning on going that way next month or 2 to atlanta, but i was going to get my trailer lol, good luck tho
Old 05-01-2012, 05:32 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by XK1R View Post
I do some work through uShip and its got some good deals and sometimes its frustrating. I spent the money to get legal and you can get yahoos on there who dont have insurance or DOT requirements transporting stuff. I always get out bid by them by atleast 200-400 dollars. I have shipped everything from car parts to porsche, supras etc.

Also, the big carriers take forever to pickup sometimes they come through in a decent time and leave your cars with no damage but from talking to a few clients that have used them arent very happy. I saw a Ferrari parked underneath a old Toyota pickup truck with oil all over the roof and windscreen.

If you do go through uShip, be sure to check the profile of those who you are considering, look for the DOT # and then check it with the DOT lookup. SAFER Web - Company Snapshot

Also you can use uShip Shipping Price Estimator to get a idea of the pricing for whatever your shipping. Usually if you can find a guy with a wedge/3 car transport you can get a better deal.

Good Luck!
Great Advice Brother! thanks. I called a couple national transport companies and got descent prices. I am interested in Uship, I would go with ratings over price any day of the week. My question is, my shipment is in July, when would I want to try Uship? People dont have their schedules that far out do they? Also I want to ask how much to haul two, and haul three. My wife could drive her explorer, but one company with good ratings said they could haul a third for $500, I cant even drive it that far for less. I will try UShip, thanks guys.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:21 AM

I prefer booking customers ahead a few weeks to a couple months. I would list it and then add you have 3 cars total in 1 ad, or possibly make 2 more ads. uShip fees are high and when you accept a transporter you will have to pay a deposit aka booking fee for uShip.

Good thing is the sooner the listing the more people you will have interested in it. Just be sure to let them know your shipping 3 cars. I usually go after the ones that say it in the title (i.e. 3 car shipment). Also it helps to have the height, length and width measured out and added in on the listing to be accurate.

Its free to list, get bids until you accept a carrier. They will ask for you credit/debit card just to have on file so when you do accept a carrier it will automatically debit that amount.

Hope that helps! Good luck on the shipments!
Old 05-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Premium Member

From what I have heard from my friends, they will use a search engine to find auto transportation. They normally request an estimate from about 6 or 7 companies. You need to set a date for the move. Within a few days of that date, you will get phone calls and e-mails with the price dropping by 60%.
I hope this will help.
My friends will receive an est. for about $600, then the day or two before that date that was entered on the site. The price will drop to $350. You will also receive the e-mails and phone calls in between too.

Good luck
Hope this will help
Old 05-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Prices will depend on the cars being shipped too. Before I had my PS (and now do transport) I had my jeep shipped from CA > PA about 3 years ago. We did the online estimates through a ton of companies. Cheapest we got was about 1200. They showed up 3 days late (the company brokered another truck who tried to get me to pay 1400) They then showed up 7 days late to PA and when calling the company to find out where it was they were "unsure of the trucks location". Best part when if finally did show up there was a machete in the back seat.... I kept it.

IMO uShip is the way to go. read reviews pay the little bit extra to get quality customer service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.