Increasing GCVWR? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 12:04 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Increasing GCVWR?

I have been doing some searching and found that some people mention being able to go through a process (I assume inspection/certification) for getting the GCWR of a truck raised. Anyone at least know of where to start this process or better yet know what it is all about? I know some of you will jump in and say buy a truck that is made for it, safety, yada, yada...I accept that and understand fully, but it seems like BS to me that a brand new Turbo V-6 F-150 is rated to tow 11,700lbs (If I remember right) and my F-350 is only rated to 10,100lbs. Which vehicle would you rather tow 12k lbs with? If I can't do it legally I will consider sucking it up for a new truck, but I love my truck and don't want to get rid of it and of course there are monetary considerations too. Thanks for any info ya'll might have.
-Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 04:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My truck is rated at 10k by Ford, registered for 12k in my province. Trailer is 15.5k so I have posibility to be registered for 27.5k. Now needing a CDL.

NOW my truck is rated at 23k gcvw so what does ford says.
The truck and trailer combined can be 23000lbs considering I don't have over axle ratings and proper braking on the towed trailer.
You do not add truck gvw and trailer gvw the 5th wheel pin weight is part of the truck gvw. Due to less tongue load regular trailer rating is lowered but you can load the truck box up to truck gcvw that include tongue load and load in the box.
F150's are much lighter and the gcvw allows heavier trailers same as other models, but the HD Fords are much better build for towing but rated for the drive train and cooling capacity while, to me, F150 are a publicity gimic. I surely would not tow the trailers I see them pulling lately.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Last edited by caissiel; 04-15-2012 at 04:43 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Premium Member

I guess I left out a bit in my original post after re-reading it. Lol. I was never suggesting an F-150 to tow that kind of weight, I was more questioning towing more than is rated for my truck and the legalities of it.

I am looking at a trailer that is 10k-12k lbs empty and rated for 16k and change fully loaded, however my truck is only rated at 20k GCWR and 9900 GVWR. I am trying to get to the bottom of the legalities...particularly for interstate travel, but also local use...I don't want to spend $20k on a trailer to find out I can't tow it without getting fines or impounded and I don't want to get stuck having to buy another truck unplanned. I KNOW the truck can do it, since I have towed 8-9k on a bumper pull with no issues and about 7k on a gooseneck with it (and barely noticed it was there minus a little accelleration).
-Aaron
Old 04-16-2012, 04:59 AM

Send a message via MSN to jorlee Send a message via Yahoo to jorlee
First check your local laws.

Here, I increase my pickups registered weight to my gcvwr.

GCVWR= TV GVWR+ TR GVWR

If I buy a bigger trailer I raise my pickups registration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.