Help me understand "GCWR" - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 01:18 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Help me understand "GCWR"

2008 F-450 has a GVWR of 14500. Ford says it has a GCWR of 33000.

Trailer has a GVWR of 25900.

Would I add this up as 8800 truck (actual weight) 9800 trailer (actual weight) + load on trailer = GCWR?

Or is it 14500 + 25900, which has me at 40400 before I even put something on the trailer?

I've found this:

Quote:
Gross Combination Weight Rating or GCWR is defined as "the value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a combination (articulated) motor vehicle.
but I've also found this:

Quote:
It's important to remember that the GCWR is not an actual measurement of the weight of a tow vehicle and a trailer, but rather the combined maximum weight limit that the manufacturer has set for the two vehicles once attached.
which seems to contradict:

Quote:
According to Ford Motor Company, the GCWR is calculated by adding the following weights together: The vehicle's listed curb weight, allowable payload, driver and passenger weight and trailer weight [source: Ford Motor Company].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyLX450 View Post
2008 F-450 has a GVWR of 14500. Ford says it has a GCWR of 33000.

Trailer has a GVWR of 25900.

Would I add this up as 8800 truck (actual weight) 9800 trailer (actual weight) + load on trailer = GCWR?

Or is it 14500 + 25900, which has me at 40400 before I even put something on the trailer?

I've found this:

but I've also found this:

which seems to contradict:
the GCWR is what ford recomends is the most weight to carry

8800+9800 is ur dry weight. subtract that from the 25900 and 14500. but also make sure ur not over on any single axle either
Old 04-14-2012, 01:40 PM

Understood, but this is where I'm getting hung up.

As far as legality goes with the CDL license.....if I pull onto a scale, with say my truck 8800, my trailer 9800, and a 7000lb load - the scale will read 25600lbs.

Does that mean I do not need a CDL because my GCWR is under 26001......

Or I need a Class A CDL because the GVWR of truck + GVWR of trailer is 40400?

Do I need a CDL Class A to even drive this trailer home from the manufacturer?
Old 04-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Legal issues vary by state. In NC if I have a trailer weighing over 10k loaded or unloaded I need a class a cdl. If the truck is gross weighted over 26k I need a class a cdl. Most people here with good sized 3 horse trailers, legally have to have a case a cdl.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
gcwr is pretty easy to configure here is mine as an example, my gcwr is 20k btw
my truck weight + weight of load carried= gcwr<20,001
my gvwr is 8800, so as long as i do not exceed 8800 truck weight combined with tongue weight of trailer i'm good, and as long as the truck + the trailer weigh less than 20k combined, and as long as the rear axle is not over it's weight rating i'm good
at least that's how i understand the law, and my Ga driver's license says i can drive anything weighing under 26,001 lbs w/o any kind of extra requirement, 9/10 times if your commercially hauling then yes you will need a CDL though being as how it is a commercial drivers license, good luck and i hope i can read correctly and that i am informative
Old 04-15-2012, 12:13 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
gcwr is pretty easy to configure here is mine as an example, my gcwr is 20k btw
my truck weight + weight of load carried= gcwr<20,001
my gvwr is 8800, so as long as i do not exceed 8800 truck weight combined with tongue weight of trailer i'm good, and as long as the truck + the trailer weigh less than 20k combined, and as long as the rear axle is not over it's weight rating i'm good
at least that's how i understand the law, and my Ga driver's license says i can drive anything weighing under 26,001 lbs w/o any kind of extra requirement, 9/10 times if your commercially hauling then yes you will need a CDL though being as how it is a commercial drivers license, good luck and i hope i can read correctly and that i am informative
Close....Let's see if I can explain this since I have been doing a ton of research due to buying a trailer. BTW, this is the minimum based on FEDERAL law.....

In my case....I am looking at a trailer that weighs about 9k lbs but has a GVWR of about 15k. My truck is rated at 9900 GVWR and 20k GCWR.

This means that the maximum LEGAL trailer GVWR I can tow is 10,100lbs.

It doesn't matter what the ACTUAL weight is as far as the law is concerned (assuming you don't break the individual GVWR of either the truck OR trailer), just what the placards with the ratings say.

Individual states can have stricter requirements, but that is the way the Federal law works.

Clear as mud?

-Aaron
Old 04-15-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyLX450 View Post
Understood, but this is where I'm getting hung up.

As far as legality goes with the CDL license.....if I pull onto a scale, with say my truck 8800, my trailer 9800, and a 7000lb load - the scale will read 25600lbs.

Does that mean I do not need a CDL because my GCWR is under 26001......

Or I need a Class A CDL because the GVWR of truck + GVWR of trailer is 40400?

Do I need a CDL Class A to even drive this trailer home from the manufacturer?
if the trailer is rated for more than 10K u need a class A CDL. theres ways around but to me is not worth it
Old 04-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsstrans384 View Post
if the trailer is rated for more than 10K u need a class A CDL. theres ways around but to me is not worth it
From what I have been reading, that depends on the state. If it isn't for commercial use, as far as I can tell, in Florida you are good as long as your GCWR isn't over 26,001lbs, not to mention that even if you exceed their weight, if it isn't for commercial use you only need to get a Class-A endorsement, not a Class-A CDL, but I know states can be more restrictive than the federal law, and from reading around doing some research myself it seems that even in the same state you get 3 different answers from 3 different DOT officers and you have to be a dang lawyer with a PhD to figure the laws out. Why can't they just keep it simple. The complications are ridiculous.
-Aaron
Old 04-15-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenF350 View Post
From what I have been reading, that depends on the state. If it isn't for commercial use, as far as I can tell, in Florida you are good as long as your GCWR isn't over 26,001lbs, not to mention that even if you exceed their weight, if it isn't for commercial use you only need to get a Class-A endorsement, not a Class-A CDL, but I know states can be more restrictive than the federal law, and from reading around doing some research myself it seems that even in the same state you get 3 different answers from 3 different DOT officers and you have to be a dang lawyer with a PhD to figure the laws out. Why can't they just keep it simple. The complications are ridiculous.
-Aaron
Well if ur trailer is rated for 25900 its not to pull a jetski around. I paid 250 to take my test and im good, so its up to you. If u get caught overweight it will be alot more. So u can take ur chances

Jr
Old 04-15-2012, 04:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsstrans384 View Post
Only in CA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.