Towing with big mud tires - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towing with big mud tires

I just got a 2000 F350 supercab srw, It's pretty much stock except for the 35x12.50 Federal MT tires and 18" rims. I'm planning on adding EGT and Trans temp gauges.

It will pull a 35 foot travel trailer 8500# range +/-. I have contemplated getting back to a more stock size tire/rim combination.

Do many of you pull with bigger tires like this? Are there any major advantages/disadvantages to towing with tires this big, and aggressive mud tread?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My truck originally had 315/70r17 BFG AT's when I first started towing my trailer. Got over 30k miles on them before switching to 35x12.50r17 Hankook MT's. Been towing my same trailer since 06. The Hankooks have been great. Only thing I don't like about them is the weight rating for my tire size changed from 3525# to 3195# per tire. This is an "E" rated tire but the weight rating is the same as the BFG "D" rated tire. I like having the extra traction and clearnace of larger tires. Never know when you may need it.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:01 PM

Everytime you post those TH pics, I get so jealous. But like he said, I lifted mine 4.5in. and run -12 offset 35x12.5/18's during the summer months and OEM 17s with 35/12.5's the other months.

I do agree tho, the wider tread pattern has helped me a ton of times towing to the dirt track races. Last year there was a rain front that sat in for 3 days before the races, pulled in the parking lot no problems at all. Not to mention they look sweet.

Road noise on my Nitto MT's is a tad more than my Mastercraft CT's but love um both. And I tow about the same you are mentioning. 28ft 6200lbs dry.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
^^^^ That pic crossing that creek is AWESOME
Old 04-09-2012, 01:22 PM

what gears do you have in the rear?
Old 04-09-2012, 05:57 PM

when i had mud tires..i was able to run a slower gear line when towing..only other thing is the tread kept coming off on mine
Old 04-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Premium Member

I have towed around 8k lbs with my truck. Can't remember if I was running my "D" KM2's or my "E" rated Nitto MT's. I had no issues although if you keep the tires and tow much weight very often it might be beneficial to look into gears as I found I had to keep a close eye on EGT's on the interstate going bigger hills. My Nitto's are rated for 4150 or 4250lbs per tire (Can't remember) and are 37's.

FWIW I had a buddy that was towing a 40ft fifth wheel toy hauler that weighed 16k iirc and he was doing it with a SRW F350 on 35's. Less than ideal and probably not safe but he never had any problems, although he has now switched to a stock height dually.

I think as long as the tires are rated for the weight (pay attention to recommended PSI in the tires for the weight rating) and your gearing isn't causing to high of EGT's there will be no issues realted to tire size.
-Aaron
Old 04-09-2012, 06:09 PM

I haul with 35x12.5 20 Nitto Trail Grappler MTs and previously with the same size Toyo MTs. No problems other than more road noise. I have a 5.5" lift and airbags in the back.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:17 PM

I have a 2005 f350 srw and i tow my bobcat which is around 4.5 tons, occasionally tow a hydroseeder which is about 5 tons. I have a 6" lift with 37" toyo M/T, I have stock gears and the truck has no problems. Only problem is the truck with the lift, tires and air bags the trailer scrapes the ground cause of the angle even with a bobcat or excavator
Old 04-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Premium Member

I find the scraping is dependant on the trailer. Trailers that are bumper pull are no problem. I have a 11.5" drop reciever I use. For goosenecks on the other hand it depends on the style and brand. The BigTex dovetail that I pull has no big issues. The pin goes far enough up even with my 6" lift and 37's to be fine, but others don't go up as far and will cause some scraping. Just have to check out your setup or if buying a trailer find out the pin height and go from there.
-Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.