WD hitch and tongue weight - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
WD hitch and tongue weight

Decided to get a WD hitch. I measured my tongue weight but not sure which one to use. With the trailer at "ride height" as hooked up to my truck it with a 2" drop it was 962#. With the trailer level it shows about 832#.

It currently drops my truck down quite a bit. I would say it drops the top of the ball about to where the bottom of the ball would be if it wasn't loaded...so maybe 3 or 4 inches?

So what size WD hitch do I need? (10k trailer max)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Premium Member

I would get the 12K/1200
Old 03-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Serving Our Country!

Wouldn't that much be overkill? Read somewhere you want to try to match tongue weight to the WD hitch or it could do the opposite of what you want.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Serving Our Country!

Anyone else?
Old 03-23-2012, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Take a look at this:
Common Weight Distribution and Sway Control Questions | etrailer.com

Might help with figuring it out.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Serving Our Country!

Kinda helped a little. Guess 12k/2k model...
Old 03-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Tongue Weight (for Weight Distribution calculations) = trailer tongue weight + vehicle cargo load behind rear axle. Don't get one that's rated lower than your actual tongue weight, you may damage the WD hitch and it wont be nearly as effective. You need to get a hitch that has a tongue rating as close to your actual tongue weight as possible, as long as its not rated too low. The GTW rating of the hitch needs to meet or exceed the actual weight of the trailer, going higher is just fine. So considering you tongue weight is #832 (assuming you don't have any cargo behind the rear axle in your bed.
I see a few on that site that's rated at 1200/12k and one at 1k/10k. I don't know what your load is of if it changes but personally I would go with air bags. That's what I use and its adjustable to any load up to 5K. Which means you could have your #832 tongue weight and a little over 2 tons in your bed or you could hook up a different trailer with a 1200 lb tongue weight and 500lbs of cargo in your bed and all you have to do is change your air pressure and your good to go! A setup is about the same price too.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc123 View Post
Wouldn't that much be overkill? Read somewhere you want to try to match tongue weight to the WD hitch or it could do the opposite of what you want.
Nope, not overkill.

Just got done setting up an equilzer and you go through several steps of adjusting the hitch setup so you are transferring enough, but not too much weight off the ball, and forward to the truck.

Its a REAL workout running the jack up/down many many times to get it all dialed in.

A word of caution, don't use the tools to get the spring bars onto the hitch. If you do it can be a REAL bear to get them back of so you can un-hitch.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:05 AM
Serving Our Country!

I've got an electric tongue jack so no workout for me

Guess once the feds decide to release my tax return I'll be getting the 12k model.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

here's a tip from someone who has lots of past experience in hooking/unhooking these, after you get it all set up, mark the chain link that you have determined you need to use, then every time you hook it up, hook everything up before you put the weight on the truck and unhook after you have taken the weight off the truck. So what you are doing is using your jack to tension and un-tension the spring bars instead of doing it with the short pipe that comes with the kit. Coach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.